Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Maarten Niederer <ma...@burgemeestre.nl> on 2016/05/15 22:18:06 UTC

Interest in contributing to a bi temporal framework

Hi guys,

I'm considering to contribute to the Geode project. My attention is drawn
because of the desire to create a bi temporal framework in a distributed
database system. This should provide me nice engineering challenges.

At my present employer I have worked with and developed an application that
implements a bi temporal framework within the application layer build on top
of an old school RDBMS. I have done a lot development with temporal logic
(value time). For example, I've implemented several  SQL operations (e.g.
outer joins, group/aggregate) in a temporal way (e.g. find me the intervals
in time when more developers than managers worked at company X given the
temporal data on when people started/stopped working and their professions).
Also I've been busy with implementing the procedure that writes the change
log for these temporal tables which allows to inspect these tables at any
transaction time. During this work I found several shortcomings to
implementing these features within the application layer, which could be
only resolved if there's proper support in the RDBMS instead.

So I know a lot about bi temporal data, I know only a bit on distributed
transactions (I learned some in university and the clubhouse presentation by
Swapnil was excellent for knowledge transfer). Finally I don't know anything
about the Geode code base. So my first action would be to tackle starter
JIRAs for half a year or so in order to get some familiarity with the
codebase.

However before I start to blow a big shot of my personal time, I'd like to
know whether there are several people who like to support implementing the
bi temporal framework. As it requires thorough review both on design and
code (and preferably even test coverage). Also for the work on the
transaction time dimension, the current work being done on the transactions
should be completed. Also we will probably need a fundamental discussion on
'transaction time' and corresponding 'read consistency' in a distributed
context.  (Is there always some snapshot which matches exactly what a client
observed at some point in time?).

Also good for you to know, most of my time I reside in the CET timezone.

Best regards,

Maarten Niederer

Re: Interest in contributing to a bi temporal framework

Posted by Michael Stolz <ms...@pivotal.io>.
Maarten,

I would be interested in spending some cycles thinking through how to best
implement bi-temporality in Geode. I have implemented bi-temporality using
several traditional databases, and I have some ideas how to implement both
time-series and bi-temporal data in Geode, but it would be interesting to
have someone who really knows the subject matter well to work with.

--
Mike Stolz
Principal Engineer, GemFire Product Manager