Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Thile <gi...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/13 18:37:32 UTC

svnserve and Apache serve same repos?

Hi folks,

It might be advantageous for me to have both of these serve the same
repos. I know that would be asking for trouble normally, but what if
only one of them has read-write users? The svnserve part would only be
one, read-only user, whereas the Apache side would serve to my usual
read-write users.

Would that work okay, or is it dangerous and/or impossible?

Thanks,

John

Re: svnserve and Apache serve same repos?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 13, 2006, at 12:37, John Thile wrote:

> It might be advantageous for me to have both of these serve the same
> repos. I know that would be asking for trouble normally, but what if
> only one of them has read-write users? The svnserve part would only be
> one, read-only user, whereas the Apache side would serve to my usual
> read-write users.
>
> Would that work okay, or is it dangerous and/or impossible?

It's definitely possible to concurrently use multiple access methods,
even when all of them have read/write access, provided you set it up
correctly. Read the book for instructions.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.serverconfig.multimethod.html

RE: svnserve and Apache serve same repos?

Posted by Gavin Lambert <ga...@compacsort.com>.
Quoth Erik Huelsmann <ma...@gmail.com>:
>> It might be advantageous for me to have both of these serve the same
>> repos. I know that would be asking for trouble normally, but what if
>> only one of them has read-write users? The svnserve part would only
>> be one, read-only user, whereas the Apache side would serve to my
>> usual read-write users.
>>
>> Would that work okay, or is it dangerous and/or impossible?
>
> There is no danger in having more than one writer. You do
> need to make sure the files are readable by the other party, that's
> all.

I think there was an issue if (a) the repository is in BDB format and
(b) it's on a network share.  As long as you're not doing both of those
together then I think it's fine.

Re: svnserve and Apache serve same repos?

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 11/13/06, John Thile <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> It might be advantageous for me to have both of these serve the same
> repos. I know that would be asking for trouble normally, but what if
> only one of them has read-write users? The svnserve part would only be
> one, read-only user, whereas the Apache side would serve to my usual
> read-write users.
>
> Would that work okay, or is it dangerous and/or impossible?

There is no danger in having more than one writer. You do need to make
sure the files are readable by the other party, that's all.

bye,

Erik.