Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bruce Bailey <Br...@adp.com> on 2002/07/18 16:54:01 UTC

What version of Java is necessary to run Tomcat

Hi

I have installed the Tomcat server on my TRU64 system.  Every time I try to start the server, it aborts, leaving 'Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread' in the catalina.out log file.

I am beginning to suspect that I have either an incomplete/incorrect installation of Java or that the version that I have is too old.  I am running version 1.1.7B-2 of Java (RTE only).  One thing that looks odd to me is that the java and javac executables reside in /etc/bin rather than dedicated directory with jar files etc.

This same installation package of Tomcat works just fine on my Linux box, running version 1.3.1 of Java.

I am using version 4.0.4 of Tomcat.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Bruce Bailey