Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jonathan Roy <jo...@caldera.com.INVALID> on 2018/07/19 10:22:08 UTC

Monitor the state of an event-based choreography

Hello,

We are currently studying event-driven architectures with Kafka, and one thing that scares me a bit is that we have no way to know at any moment what is the state of a business transaction that spans multiple services. Let’s consider the following simple flow:
1. the ‘orders’ service creates a ‘new order’ event.
2. the ‘validation’ service validates the order and publishes an ‘order validated’ or ‘order rejected’.
3. the ‘email’ service sends a confirmation email to the customer.

This does not directly concern Kafka but are there some tools that help visually tracking the status of any particular order, and know which part of the flow remains to be done? I know Confluent Control Center allows to monitor the Kafka topics, but I’m not aware of any tool allowing to visualize the business flows of events.

Thanks!

Jonathan Roy

Re: Monitor the state of an event-based choreography

Posted by Tony Liu <ji...@zuora.com.INVALID>.
Interested, will put some time learn about opentracing.org.

Posted by Christopher Smith <cb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Rosanova <da...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.
Are you looking more for an Actor or orchestration layer and visibility? I don’t know of one per se,  it would also be interested.

Dan