Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2006/02/22 02:30:34 UTC

Branding: SOLR vs Solr vs solr

I hate to bring up something so inane, but if we are ever going to care,
now is the time to do so.

what kind of consistency do we want to try and apply to the uses of the
"Solr" name in terms of capitalization?

Should SOLR allways be an acronym?  should it always be lowercased? ..

Should we take the Perl approach and say that "Solr" is the project and
"solr" (or "SOLR") is the application?

Should we just not care?

-Hoss

Re: Branding: SOLR vs Solr vs solr

Posted by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com>.
I have updated the logo on the web site to be "Solr".
I will update the logo in the admin pages to "Solr" as well when
I get a chance to do that.

Bill

Posted by Ian Holsman <Ia...@Holsman.net>.
Arbrtary Replacing and  Searching On Lucene
?

(couldn't resist)

--
Ian@Holsman.net -- blog: http://feh.holsman.net/ -- PH: ++61-3-9877-0909

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. -
Mario Andretti

Re: Branding: SOLR vs Solr vs solr

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: names, directory names, etc., which are conventionally lowercased.  I'd
: stay away from 'SOLR', since it's no longer really an acronym, no?  Note

When Yonik first mentioned to me needing to rename "SOLAR" because the
"Resin" part of the name was no good (before I knew about the trademark
issues) i tossed out putting "Replication" in the name sicne it's such a
cool feature ... that concept made it into the FAQ, but we can pull it out
if we want to avoid any implication of Solr being an acronym.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ#head-8f206b85cb2e9528aab823e1f9097b14127cab90

  Q: What does Solr Stand For?
  A: Arguably, it stands for "Searching On Lucene w/Replication"

In general, I'll try to make sure all refrences in the Wiki docs are
either "Solr" or "solr".

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.