Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by Cameron Purdy <ca...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/04 01:42:21 UTC

Re: TCKs and the ASF

David - Unfortunately, I was not able to push this through while I was
still at Oracle. (I was fired this morning.) However, Bill and Lance know
the goals and the plot, and they still have the same approval process to go
through, which might even be easier now since I will not be the one asking
for it ;-)

I am sorry to have let you down in terms of bringing this to a successful
conclusion. As you may be able to imagine now, I have had my hands full
with some other pressing issues.

Peace,

Cameron.

Re: TCKs and the ASF

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Cameron, it has been a great experience working with you on revising the TCK agreement for the last 2 years.  I think we forged some clever compromises that have the potential to bring both our organizations closer together.  I do hope we can cross the finish line.  To my eyes we are toed up to it.

In the last 2 years, despite some seeing the lack of agreement as ego and trust, we have created some potential compromises I think are incredibly beneficial to Java EE itself.  Realigning enforcement rules to 1) require transparency-by-date rather than compliance-by-date and 2) allow innovation in products that might not yet have the resources to begin implementing the next major version are two critical components that can lead to a better industry.

For #1 I think compliance-by-date is a lose-lose.  Oracle could never sue someone for being slow to comply without looking like a bully.  Being transparent-by-date is completely enforceable and good motivation for vendors to be quicker.

For #2 Implementations that are short of resources need greater allowance to innovate to stay in the game.  Go ahead and implement that new microservices idea.  As long as you don’t cause compatibility issues by tip-toing into the next spec version without passing the TCK, you’re good and thank you for any innovations that can benefit Java EE.  Again, enforceable and positive.

Lance and Bill, I know you two have worked quite a lot on all of this.  I do look forward to driving this home with you.

The next step is as it was in March, we need a new draft with the above understandings.  I know giving dates is a legal no-no, but please do give some indication we are moving forward.

-David