Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Sean Busbey <sb...@apple.com.INVALID> on 2021/05/13 15:10:02 UTC

[DISCUSS] check style changes

Hi folks!

I’d like to start cleaning up our nightly tests. As a bit of low hanging fruit I’d like to alter some of our check style rules to match what I think we’ve been doing in the community. How would folks prefer I make sure we have consensus on such changes?

As an example, our last nightly run had ~81k check style violations (it’s a big number but it’s not that bad given the size of the repo) and roughly 16% of those were for line lengths in excess of 80 characters but <= 100 characters.

If I wanted to change our line length check to be 100 characters rather than the default of 80, would folks rather I have a DISCUSS thread first? Or would they rather a Jira + PR with the discussion of the merits happening there?

—
busbey

Re: [DISCUSS] check style changes

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.
If you tend to change the line limit, It should have a proper DISCUSS and VOTE thread. If I remember it correct for ozone it was discussed to increase the limit to 100 from 80 and that got vetoed.
So, we too should get an agreement first. Well I have gone through the ozone discussion and I also don’t support changing the line length limit in general.

Regarding the nightly runs, I think fixing the flaky tests and getting away with the frequent OOM errors in the build is something should get priority, that would be helpfull to the project.

Fixing checkstyles, firstly would be just a look and feel change. Many checkstyle warnings would be the one accepted by the committer while commiting and the most important stuff, it would make backports tough, checking the git history a little tougher, and apart from that these changes would be huge. So reviewers need to be extra cautious, that accidentally some bug doesn’t get induced.

So, Personal opinions: Line length stuff needs proper discussion and vote, justifying a strong reason.

Chekstyle modifications also, if it is like tooo much of change, and no big advantages, I think atleast I can survive with it, giving the fact it might take my ease to backport issues internally as well as to other branches. But still since it won’t break anything, so I don’t think so, I have any right to say No to this. But in case you plan to pick this up with priority. Get the plan discussed before merging.

Would be happy to help in case you plan to pick up the other stuffs related to the builds. :-)

-Ayush

Posted by "epayne@apache.org" <ep...@apache.org>.
I would be fine with a discussion and vote on relaxing some checkstyle restrictions.

Regarding line length, my personal preference is to leave it at 80, but 80 is arbitrary and I would not oppose 100 if that's what people want.

Another one that I think should be relaxed is the limit on number of arguments to a method. I understand that a ton of arguments makes a method messy, but I find it irritating when I add an argument to something that is already over the limit and I get penalized for it. The ones I have seen are all constructor methods.

-Eric

Re: [DISCUSS] Race condition in ProtobufRpcEngine2

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@apache.org>.
Call.toString() was used only while sending the response, in the response
processor thread. At this point, header would be already read and
processed. So no chance of race conditions.

This race condition was not introduced by the HADOOP-17046
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-17046>, instead existing code
was never intended to be used for logging purposes by multiple threads.
Though the locking mechanism proposed in HADOOP-18143
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-18143> solves the problems,
it adds overhead in both memory as well as performance.

This is a critical path for RPC processing, and adding a
locking/synchronization in this place would affect the overall performance
(may not be huge).

I would advise to remove logging and locking both altogether and leave the
code as is in Reader thread.

If logging is required, then add it in the response processor thread or the
handler threads.

-Vinay

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@apache.org>.