Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo.com> on 2013/09/10 01:13:30 UTC

Board report draft

Please send me comments if you have any:

=== ZooKeeper Board Report - September 2013

ZooKeeper is a reliable coordination service for distributed
applications.

Trunk is under development for an eventual 3.5.0 release. A couple of
important improvements on the way for 3.5.0:

- One important new feature in 3.5.0 will be the ability to reconfigure a
ZooKeeper ensemble. This feature was discussed a long time in
ZOOKEEPER-107 and we have finally converged and committed it;
- We are also focusing on a number of improvements over the code that
performs recovery. In particular, we are targeting an implementation that
avoids sending and taking unnecessary snapshots, which reduces time
to recover in the presence of crashes.

There are other various patches we are working on related code cleanup
and refactoring.

The status of releases hasn't changed since the last board report. 3.5.0 release
date is not defined yet.  Our focus is on scalability, jdk7 and openjdk support,
maven build/rel, testing and audit logging.

A bug fix release 3.4.6 is also expected to go out, but given the low traffic
of reviews and patches committed, it is unclear when it will happen.

Community:

Mailing list activity is moderate and the number of patch reviews
and commits has dropped significantly.

* 10 active committers representing 8 unique organizations.
*  9 active PMC members representing 7 unique organizations.
* xxx subscribers on dev (up from 387 last quarter).
* xxx subscribers on user (up from 816 last quarter).
- Patrick Hunt gave a talk at Airbnb (https://www.airbnb.co.uk/meetups/9j9ykz5je-tech-talk-patrick-hunt)