Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> on 2013/10/29 16:17:15 UTC

Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

Dear Apache Members,

Certain board members accuse me of using the board@ list unreasonably to
argue that board officers are not acting appropriately regarding certain
legal issues:

> Larry is abusing his privilege to interact on this list.  I suggest we

> all decline to respond further.

I will honor their request, but instead I will take this to legal-discuss@
(a public list) and members@ (an internal list).

In particular, I made this request which the Board has refused to respond
to:

I challenge you to find anywhere on our website the written "policy" that
Sam invoked to delay a decision about this and other third party license
issues that I raised in LEGAL-179 /and/ several previous JIRA issues.
"Policy" DOES NOT MEAN "the VP of Legal Affairs decided". You should quit
inventing policy as you go along.

Can anyone else among our members please help us find authority for these
actions by the VP of Legal Affairs? I've never seen that officer's actual
role described, certainly not in any way that would provide written guidance
for the "policy" that he invokes. I'd like to see something consistent with
our mission statement: "The Foundation provides an established framework for
intellectual property...."

By the way, I've changed the topic of this thread. After this brouhaha in
Apache, W3C is quietly withdrawing its efforts to experiment with CC-BY.
Their representatives have advised me to give up the fight. :-) Someone must
have won this battle! But Apache keeps losing, because we still refuse all
attempts to lead the FOSS world in defining what our Third Party Licensing
Policy ought to be. Our VP of Legal Affairs insists that the "policy" is to
sit back and wait until a project asks about a license, then approve or
disapprove the license based on ad hoc rules but no intelligible written
principles or guidelines.

For those of you who have written me publicly or privately begging me to
stop bothering you about this topic because you want to get back to
programming, sorry but no. Next year will mark my 20th year as an attorney
working in support of FOSS. I assume that my leadership on these issues was
why I was elected as a member of The Apache Software Foundation in the first
place. Telling me to shut up about intellectual property issues of open
source and open standards is like cheating me of oxygen. I won't let it
happen.

/Larry

P.S. I recognize that I won't get many /public/ statements of support for
this email. But please, those of you who have the courage to do so, please
write me privately with your comments. Pro or con, it will help me resist
this plea from board members that I should "shut up" about legal issues.

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw & Einschlag, a technology law firm ( <http://www.rosenlaw.com/>
www.rosenlaw.com)

3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482

Office: 707-485-1242

Linkedin profile:  <http://linkd.in/XXpHyu> http://linkd.in/XXpHyu

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Thank you, Brett and Jukka, for spending the time pointing to the publicly
documented and archived materials that have led to the current practice of
only considering concrete (PMC driven) use cases rather than hypothetical
cases.

This is extremely useful for those who have some difficulty in
understanding how the ASF works and why it works that way.

Ross

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Senior Technology Evangelist
Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Larry,

On 30 Oct 2013, at 2:17 am, Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> In particular, I made this request which the Board has refused to respond to:
> I challenge you to find anywhere on our website the written "policy" that Sam invoked to delay a decision about this and other third party license issues that I raised in LEGAL-179 /and/ several previous JIRA issues. "Policy" DOES NOT MEAN "the VP of Legal Affairs decided". You should quit inventing policy as you go along.
> Can anyone else among our members please help us find authority for these actions by the VP of Legal Affairs? I've never seen that officer's actual role described, certainly not in any way that would provide written guidance for the "policy" that he invokes. I'd like to see something consistent with our mission statement: "The Foundation provides an established framework for intellectual property...."

Earlier in that private thread, two links were provided that outline the authority to establish policy:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2005/board_minutes_2005_06_22.txt
Special Order 6. B. Appoint a Vice President of Legal Affairs

http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2007/board_minutes_2007_03_28.txt
Special Order 8. C. Establish the Legal Affairs Committee

The process of recording specific answered questions was discussed by the Legal Affairs Committee in March 2008 on this list, and has been in operation since that time. The following statement of intent was used:
"As much as humanly possible, everything will be by consensus of the Legal Affairs Committee, though possibly via Lazy Consensus. If there ever is a time that consensus can't be reached, the decision will fall to the Chair who will keep the board informed on any such issues."

I hope this addresses your question.

Regards,
Brett

--
Brett Porter   @brettporter
http://brettporter.wordpress.com/

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
AFAICT, it all seems quite simple:  there exists a committee which handles
legal affairs at the enjoyment of the board.  That committee has a VP which
is the final position answerable to the board and is thus "holding the
bag," in the end.  The VP and/or committee establishes policy as
collectively it sees fit (VP being slightly "more equal than others");
whether or not that policy is officially encoded someplace is the
committee's business.  If the committee chooses not to formally document
its policy, then when the first of many similar decisions is made, then
we'll call that "ad-hoc."  However, consistency in the resolution of
successive similar issues eventually transcends the "ad-hoc" allegation.
 The principles I have seen consistently portrayed with regard to ASF
third-party licensing issues are:

1.  Permit anything which violates neither the law nor the social policies
of the ASF, and
2.  Defer all decisions until the point at which they are demonstrably
needed.

IMO I have just reverse-engineered Apache legal policy wrt third-party
licensing such as it has been implemented during my own observation.  :)
 Every time I ever approached Sam with a legal question, the answer was
*always* "let's not deal in hypotheticals."  The consistent application of
this approach does constitute a policy, and anyone who has participated to
any degree in Apache legal business over the past few years has IMO had
ample opportunity to see that.  Further, FWIW, principle #2 should come as
a surprise to no one:  firstly, since the foundation is run by volunteer
energy, we must all be very discriminating in prioritizing our efforts.
 Most of us have lives beyond the ASF or the broader OSS community, as
important as these are.  Secondly, since the focus of the ASF is the
development of software, it seems quite fitting that the similar concept of
"premature optimization" manifests itself even in a non-software-related
aspect of ASF business.

Matt

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Oct 29, 2013, at 9:03 AM, C. Bergström <cb...@pathscale.com> wrote:

> Isn't a case-by-case analysis a reasonable way to deal with this issue? (I don't know if my understanding is perfectly clear with what's really happening - seems like this best describes it from your email)
> -----
> Looking at it another way - has the current "informal" handling of this ever failed or produced an undesirable outcome? Larry - if you fail - what's the doomsday outcome? (If it ain't toooo broken - don't fix it?)
>
> You seem very passionate about this and keep your friends and allies happy - the carrot approach may take more time, but could be the best way to win in the long term... If there's no critical need *right now* - Let it go for a bit and revisit when people have the patience to engage again..

I would go one step further by saying if you want to get an answer to the Jira issue then find a concrete need for it at the ASF.  If you can’t do that no one here is going to want to spend any effort on it.  If you can find some real world use where an existing project needs the question answered at that point I am sure the question will be answered. Reading the Jira issue I just don’t see why any current ASF project needs this issue resolved.

Ralph

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

Posted by " C. Bergström " <cb...@pathscale.com>.
On 10/29/13 10:17 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:

> [...]
> help me resist this plea from board members that I should "shut up"
> about legal issues.

Isn't a case-by-case analysis a reasonable way to deal with this issue?
(I don't know if my understanding is perfectly clear with what's really
happening - seems like this best describes it from your email)
-----
Looking at it another way - has the current "informal" handling of this
ever failed or produced an undesirable outcome? Larry - if you fail -
what's the doomsday outcome? (If it ain't toooo broken - don't fix it?)

You seem very passionate about this and keep your friends and allies
happy - the carrot approach may take more time, but could be the best
way to win in the long term... If there's no critical need *right now* -
Let it go for a bit and revisit when people have the patience to engage

Sorry I can't be of more help

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 10/29/13 11:17 AM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Dear Apache Members,
>
> Certain board members accuse me of using the board@ list unreasonably to
> argue that board officers are not acting appropriately regarding certain
> legal issues:
>
>  > Larry is abusing his privilege to interact on this list.  I suggest we
>
>  > all decline to respond further.

Reminder to all: the board@ list is a privately archived list meant for
the board and officers of the ASF to conduct Foundation business, and
should be treated as confidential within the ASF.  Emails or portions of
emails sent to any private list should not be posted onto a public list
like this one.

Thanks.  Move along... Move along.

- Shane

P.S. Similarly, it's always wise to remind people up front if you're
crossposting between private and public lists.

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
 > Apache PMCs are just as lazy as all the rest of us

as sometimes are W3C Working Groups :-)

W3C have a number of different licenses:

* W3C Software License is listed as category A. [1]
* W3C Document License [2]
* W3C Test Suite License [3]

[2] and [3] are not open source licenses because they do not allow
modifications or derivative works, and that is by design.  It's kind of
the point for a standard with conformance criteria; (I don't know why
that's not managed through controlling the use of the spec name).

Where I have been involved recently, tests are dual licensed, sofware
and test suite licenses, which makes using test suites at ASF get
covered by category A.

What matters to a PMC is what material, if any, is taken from the
specification document into the software and how that is done.

	Andy

[1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231
[2]
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2008/04-testsuite-copyright.html

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

--

I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>> W3C specifications may contain material that can directly copied into a
>> generator to get executable code without a programming step: for
>> example: BNF and WebIDL.
>>
>> (I don't know if any projects current do that - I mention it because
>> such material is already in specs and is W3C Document Licensed.)
>
> W3C already makes it a practice to license IDL portions of a
> specification under the W3C Software License[1]

As a concrete example, Apache Jackrabbit includes XPath grammar files
from W3C under that license.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 30/10/13 05:34, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>>
>> First of all, I'd like to debunk a myth :
>>
>> Psudo-code is *not* code. It's basically what we call an algorithm.
>> That some layers confurse those two terms is understandable. Larry,
>> you can't make ths confusion, being a layer *and* a coder.
>
> W3C specifications may contain material that can directly copied into a
> generator to get executable code without a programming step: for
> example: BNF and WebIDL.
>
> (I don't know if any projects current do that - I mention it because
> such material is already in specs and is W3C Document Licensed.)

W3C already makes it a practice to license IDL portions of a
specification under the W3C Software License[1]

>From what I gather, the W3C PSIG quietly added this to Larry's
proposed option 3, and Larry quietly objected to same, which obviously
was a surprise to me.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/03/html-license-options.html

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 30/10/13 05:34, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> First of all, I'd like to debunk a myth :
>
> Psudo-code is *not* code. It's basically what we call an algorithm.
> That some layers confurse those two terms is understandable. Larry,
> you can't make ths confusion, being a layer *and* a coder.

W3C specifications may contain material that can directly copied into a
generator to get executable code without a programming step: for
example: BNF and WebIDL.

(I don't know if any projects current do that - I mention it because
such material is already in specs and is W3C Document Licensed.)

I don't believe W3C intends, or intended, to put in such restrictions.
It's just that the document/software split is no longer clear cut.  PSIG
did not manage to split the concepts.

> And again, until we have a project starting to implement anything
> produced by the W3

I can't speak for other projects but for Jena, I believe we are not
affected but it is for an unusual reason.  The BNF for the SPARQL
language is produced from the javacc in Jena, not the other way round (I
was the spec editor).  The data languages are handwritten RC parsers,
not produced from the spec BNF, only with reference to it.

Other projects may have started form the BNF in any of these cases.  3rd
party libraries may also be affected.

	Andy

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <co...@apache.org>.
On 10/30/2013 10:09 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote
>> I'm still wondering what such a
>> thing could have started a flury of inflamatory mails...
>
> Easy.... "Larry".

Not cool, Greg.  I think that qualifies as _ad hominem_...
--
#ken	B-)}

Ken Coar, RHCE, RHCSA, Sanagendamgagwedweinini
IT Engineering Tower, Red Hat/RDU

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 10/30/13 3:09 PM, Greg Stein a écrit :
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote
>> I'm still wondering what such a
>> thing could have started a flury of inflamatory mails...
> Easy.... "Larry".

You have to be 2 at least to start a fight ;-)

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 10/29/13 8:14 PM, Lawrence Rosen a écrit :
> Thank you, thank you, thank you, Emmanuel, for reminding us of my first response to JIRA LEGAL-179:
>

>> in your first response in the JIRA, you wrote :
>> "CC-BY license is for a specification, not software directly"
>

> That is absolutely correct.
>

> As the W3C attorney explained when he described the purpose of the CC-BY experiment, /specifications/ and /software/ are no longer easily distinguishable at W3C. The debate about this was particularly pronounced in the HTML Working Group. I wasn't there at that time, but this is how it was described when we subsequently discussed it in W3C PSIG:
>

> "This argument is at the core of a long dispute between Larry Masinter and
>
> Ian Hickson. If a specification is just abstract rules for implementation, one
>
> "uses" the specification to implement code. Masinter argued for such
>
> specifications. But if the pseudo-code and code serves as a specification
>
> and as a reference code at the same time, using that code or pseudo-code,
>
> transforming it automatically into code and putting it in a new context is generating
>
> legal problems. Problems that nobody wants, but that interfere with the entire
>
> development process and standardization."
>

> Like it or not, Apache and everyone else is or will be implementing /software/ by copying and creating derivative works of pseudo-code in W3C /specifications/.  At Apache, we like to respect W3C's specification licenses. But the creation of derivative works is expressly prohibited by the W3C Document License.

First of all, I'd like to debunk a myth :

Psudo-code is *not* code. It's basically what we call an algorithm. That
some layers confurse those two terms is understandable. Larry, you can't
make ths confusion, being a layer *and* a coder.

Now, that some specification is associated with some reference
implementation sounds quite usual for us, Java coders and JSR
implementaters. Hopefully, we all know that the RI is not and should not
be included copycat into our own implementation. This is quite clear,
for years.

Therefore, I don't think we have -yet- a problem. We have to be extra
cautious (and I thik we ae for years) that nobody at The ASF does such a
simple mistake...

> in W3C PSIG we discussed various ways to change the W3C Document License to allow implementation of W3C /specifications/ in FOSS /software/, namely how to let FOSS communities freely create derivative works of /software/ within /specifications/ without creating derivative works of the /specifications/ themselves. We found it impossible to define those terms precisely, and impossibly burdensome to require engineers to mark the content of their /specifications/ so as to clearly identify the /software/ portions therein.

Again, we aren't creating derivative work of the specification at The ASF.

> The solutions we discussed included other licensing alternatives, such as additions or changes to the W3C Document License; a separate addendum (the so-called "PSIG License" in its draft form) for specifications that contain software or pseudo-code; and two versions of Creative Commons licenses (CC0 and CC-BY) that both expressed the spirit of free W3C licensing albeit with entirely different attribution philosophies.
>

> W3C is now back to discussing licensing alternatives, since CC-BY apparently won't cut it with this community.
>

> I would really prefer it if Apache members led that discussion from the FOSS community perspective, rather than wait until one of our projects decides to implement some future version of an HTML or other W3C /specification/ in /software/ under some as-yet-unknown experimental license.

Again, I don't see the issue here. Just because the W3C is fuzzy about
the way to deal with the code they are including in the specification,
should not have any impact on us ATM.

And again, until we have a project starting to implement anything
produced by the W3, that could possibly infringe any unkwon or known
licence, I would suggest that we keep lobbying at the W3C so that they
decide to clarify their position. That does not have to impact any of
our current policy or activity, IMO. I'm still wondering what such a

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> [...]
> /specifications/ themselves. We found it impossible to define those terms
> precisely, and impossibly burdensome to require engineers to mark the
> content of their /specifications/ so as to clearly identify the /software/
> portions therein.****
>
> ** **
>
> The solutions we discussed included other licensing alternatives, such as
> additions or changes to the W3C Document License; a separate addendum (the
> so-called "PSIG License" in its draft form) for specifications that contain
> software or pseudo-code; and two versions of Creative Commons licenses (CC0
> and CC-BY) that both expressed the spirit of free W3C licensing albeit with
> entirely different attribution philosophies.****
>
> ** **
>
> W3C is now back to discussing licensing alternatives, since CC-BY

BZZT.  Here you say "CC-BY apparently won't cut it," then:

> **
>
> I would really prefer it if Apache members led that discussion from the
> FOSS community perspective, rather than wait until one of our projects
> decides to implement some future version of an HTML or other W3C
> /specification/ in /software/ under some as-yet-unknown experimental
> license.****
>
> **

It is your right to be frustrated by the unwritten policy about not dealing
in hypotheticals, but don't pretend the deferral is a rejection.
 Portraying the situation in a way other than what you (surely, by now)
know it to be cannot be considered productive and (I can't figure out how
to put this any more gently) certainly doesn't exemplify the kind of
attention to detail one would desire in anyone, let alone an attorney,
whose advice he was considering, in any context.

Presumably you yourself were pushing for a positive resolution to the CC-BY
issue, therefore I will assume that in your professional opinion no legal
issues would arise.  I've not inspected the license, but if allowing
projects to use code licensed thereby would not cause the ASF to violate
its own *non-legal*, but "just because that's how we want to operate"
principles, then there is no reason to believe that at whatever point a
resolution is forced, it will be decided in the affirmative.  If not, maybe
that will be a horrible unfortunate tragedy, but life will go on.  The
creator of a license should simply create their work according to whatever
principles are important to *that entity*, and if two organizations find
that they have compatible principles, they can play together.  If not, see
you around, no hard feelings.  If W3C needs the ASF to tell them what they
can/should put in their license, that seems to be a symptom of something
wrong with their process, not ours.

Matt

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.

On the  <http://www.apache.org/foundation> www.apache.org/foundation page, I read :

 <http://www.iktek.com> www.iktek.com

For additional commands, e-mail:  <ma...@apache.org> legal-discuss-help@apache.org

Re: Apache's Third Party Licensing Policy