Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Whitehurst <dl...@comcast.net> on 2005/04/28 23:44:57 UTC

Load Balancing ..

Am I correct that Tomcat is not setup to do load balancing without the
use of an Apache fronting?  The mod_jk module is the best way to
load-balance requests on multiple servers using the Tomcat container,
either standalone or embedded in JBoss?

David L. Whitehurst

Re: Load Balancing ..

Posted by Peter Johnson <pe...@wizardslair.net>.
Not exactly. Apache itself can't do load balancing. You could use a
dedicated Tomcat instance to loadbalance to backend Tomcats in the same
way as you described using Apache however either way you are still left
with a single point of failure. Neither Tomcat nor Apache can
loadbalance by themselves for various reasons including issues with IP
address sharing a MAC address caching.