Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by William Speirs <ws...@apache.org> on 2013/05/10 22:23:36 UTC

[DBUTILS] Pre RC for DBUTILS-2.0

Consider this a pre release candidate for DBUTILS-2.0. I fixed the
following things from RC1:

- Removed @author tags
- Changed QueryRunner to be public
- Made ArrayHandler generic (but it's ugly because I just cast to T[], does
anyone have a better idea here?)

If folks (*cough* Benedikt Ritter, *cough* Emmanuel Bourg, *cough* Sebb)
take a look and let me know what else needs to be changed before I go
through the whole RC process, that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when I do cut an RC, how do I know what dates to fill in for the
changes.xml document? I won't know when the release will happen, and I'm
not sure about the 1.6 release either. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

Bill-

Re: [DBUTILS] Pre RC for DBUTILS-2.0

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
2013/5/13 Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>

> Le 13/05/2013 21:24, William Speirs a écrit :
> >
> > Yes, I did mean QueryExecutor... sorry. I make my methods protected
> rather
> > than private because I'm not sure how someone (maybe myself) will need to
> > change functionality in the future. If I make them private, then there's
> > not going back. If I make them protected, someone can always extend and
> > provide new functionality. I'm open to other suggestions/ideas though.
>
> Actually it's the opposite. With protected methods there is no going
> back. Binary compatibility dictates that these methods will stay there
> forever, you won't be able to refactor them unlike private methods. You
> can still relax the constraint later by making them protected or public
> if the need arises.
>

> > Yes... but to what advantage?
>
> The advantage is an API that is cleaner and easier to understand.
>

> > It is more "generous" in finding a matching name in the bean for a
> column.
> > It will try to remove underscores from column names to match bean names.
> > Maybe a better name would/could be UnderscoreAgnosticBeanHandler, but I
> > think the idea was to eventually extend GenerousBeanProcessor to include
> an
> > array (or string) of single characters that could be replaced/removed in
> an
> > attempt to find a match. I don't think this needs to be a blocker though
> > get 2.0 out the door. I'll update the JavaDocs though.
>
> Some examples in the Javadoc would help.
>
> As for the name, what about "SmartBeanProcessor" or
> "ImprovedBeanProcessor" (much like the ImprovedNamingStrategy in
> Hibernate) ? If this implementation is much better than the one in
> BeanProcessor, maybe it could be merged with BeanProcessor to be used by
> default?

+1 from a user POV why should you ever use the impl that is not smart or
improved ;-)

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/

Re: [DBUTILS] Pre RC for DBUTILS-2.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13 May 2013 21:30, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Le 13/05/2013 21:24, William Speirs a écrit :
>>
>> Yes, I did mean QueryExecutor... sorry. I make my methods protected rather
>> than private because I'm not sure how someone (maybe myself) will need to
>> change functionality in the future. If I make them private, then there's
>> not going back. If I make them protected, someone can always extend and
>> provide new functionality. I'm open to other suggestions/ideas though.
>
> Actually it's the opposite. With protected methods there is no going
> back. Binary compatibility dictates that these methods will stay there
> forever, you won't be able to refactor them unlike private methods. You
> can still relax the constraint later by making them protected or public
> if the need arises.

+1

Posted by William Speirs <ws...@apache.org>.
On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:

> The advantage is an API that is cleaner and easier to understand.

I changed the methods to be package private.

> As for the name, what about "SmartBeanProcessor" or
> "ImprovedBeanProcessor" (much like the ImprovedNamingStrategy in
> Hibernate) ? If this implementation is much better than the one in
> BeanProcessor, maybe it could be merged with BeanProcessor to be used by
> default?

This could be merged into the BeanProcessor by simply adding a constructor
that takes a char (or array of chars) that are excluded when performing
column to bean property matching. This would leave the interface to the
BeanProcessor essentially the same, but add this functionality. If this is
the plan though, I'd add it to both the 1.x and 2.x branches.

Thoughts?

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by William Speirs <ws...@apache.org>.
> You mean QueryExecutor, right? Now it's in line with UpdateExecutor and
> InsertExecutor, but I feel a bit uncomfortable with theses classes as
> they mostly expose protected methods and don't look like they are meant
> to be extended.

Yes, I did mean QueryExecutor... sorry. I make my methods protected rather
than private because I'm not sure how someone (maybe myself) will need to
change functionality in the future. If I make them private, then there's
not going back. If I make them protected, someone can always extend and
provide new functionality. I'm open to other suggestions/ideas though.

> Would it be possible to make the protected method in AbstractExecutor
> package private?

Yes... but to what advantage?

> Regarding the GenerousBeanProcessor class I still don't understand its
> name :) I think a more detailed Javadoc would be welcome.

It is more "generous" in finding a matching name in the bean for a column.
It will try to remove underscores from column names to match bean names.
Maybe a better name would/could be UnderscoreAgnosticBeanHandler, but I
think the idea was to eventually extend GenerousBeanProcessor to include an
array (or string) of single characters that could be replaced/removed in an
attempt to find a match. I don't think this needs to be a blocker though to
get 2.0 out the door. I'll update the JavaDocs though.

Thanks for the feedback!

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Hi Bill,

Le 10/05/2013 22:23, William Speirs a écrit :

> - Changed QueryRunner to be public

You mean QueryExecutor, right? Now it's in line with UpdateExecutor and
InsertExecutor, but I feel a bit uncomfortable with theses classes as
they mostly expose protected methods and don't look like they are meant
to be extended.

Would it be possible to make the protected method in AbstractExecutor
package private?

> - Made ArrayHandler generic (but it's ugly because I just cast to T[], does
> anyone have a better idea here?)

As long as it makes the API easier to use I don't think it really matters.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11 May 2013 15:09, William Speirs <ws...@apache.org> wrote:
> Obviously up for debate, but are my updated thoughts:
>
> - release 2.0 from its own branch (starting with a new changes.xml file)
> - release 1.6 from trunk with the changes.xml file only including 1.x stuff
> - migrate 1.x into its own branch, and 2.0 into trunk
> - only release 1.x fixes if absolutely needed (this will probably never
> happen as 1.4 was 2 years after 1.3, and 1.5 a year after 1.4)
>
> Does this sound reasonable to everyone?

+1

Posted by William Speirs <ws...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
OK, then you need to keep 1.6 so we do not loose the history.

2.0 should also include all fixes from 1.6.

Do you plan on working on 2.0 and 1.6 in parallel? If not, I'd just finish
1.6, then do the big changes for 2.0, all from trunk.

Otherwise, you'll need a 1.6 branch and do 2.0 in trunk, or the other way
around. But eventually, I think we'll want 2.0 in trunk. You'd also need to

Posted by William Speirs <ws...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by William Speirs <ws...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.