Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/26 17:51:59 UTC

Retiring Sandesha2 from 1.7.0 release

I believe this is the right time to bring this discussion due to
following reasons.

1. For many years I never see any user mail that indicate real use of
Sandesha2, It's a question to me whether anyone still expecting newer
versions of Sandesha2.

2. In my POV RM is not popular and not widely used as other WS
technologies. Further some of the main users of Sandesha2 such as
Synapse already decided to drop RM support.

3. From many years no one actively develop Sandesha2 code base and
current situation is pathetic as test cases failing from time to time
and no one have time/experience  to fix them.

Going forward retiring Sandesha2 will help to keep health of Axis TLP
hence here is my +1.

Having said if someone willing to actively develop and maintain
Sandesha2 project in near future I'm more than happy to withdraw my
proposal

Thanks !

--
Sagara Gunathunga

Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Re: Retiring Sandesha2 from 1.7.0 release

Posted by Kishanthan Thangarajah <ks...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks,
Kishanthan.

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Hiranya Jayathilaka
<hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I believe, by "retiring" what Sagara meant was moving the code and the
> relevant artifacts to a special archive area (something like Apache Attic).
> So the old code and the binaries will still be available for download for
> anyone who's interested in them. Sagara, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, old code and the binaries will still be available for download
but no more new releases such as 1.7.0 or bug fixes. BTW if anyone
wants they can fork the code in somewhere like GitHub and can continue
maintenance. Other than Martin and Brian I also got some personal mail
from Sandsha2 users so to make it clear if there is an active
community behind Sandsha2 project then we don't need to retire it,
even now if Sandeha2  community can fix failing test cases and provide
patches for bugs then we can rescue and continue the project.

Thanks !

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,

I believe, by "retiring" what Sagara meant was moving the code and the relevant artifacts to a special archive area (something like Apache Attic). So the old code and the binaries will still be available for download for anyone who's interested in them. Sagara, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Hiranya

On Feb 1, 2014, at 3:38 PM, Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Brian and I both work in HealthCare Space in the Greater Boston area
> It is vitally important to retain the older Axis2 distros (and modules) available so we will always have the necessary artifacts to build mission-critical HealthCare Applications
> Let me know if that will be a problem so we can explore mitigation strategies
>
> Vielen Danke,
> Martin
> Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung
>
> Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfaenger sein, so bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede unbefugte Weiterleitung oder Fertigung einer Kopie ist unzulaessig. Diese Nachricht dient lediglich dem Austausch von Informationen und entfaltet keine rechtliche Bindungswirkung. Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von E-Mails koennen wir keine Haftung fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.
>

> From: brianreinhold@lampreynetworks.com
> To: java-dev@axis.apache.org
> Subject: RE: Retiring Sandesha2 from 1.7.0 release
> Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 17:51:52 -0500
>
> Hope it will still be available for those of us who still use it.
>
> Brian

Hiranya Jayathilaka
Mayhem Lab/RACE Lab;

RE: Retiring Sandesha2 from 1.7.0 release

From: brianreinhold@lampreynetworks.com
To: java-dev@axis.apache.org
Subject: RE: Retiring Sandesha2 from 1.7.0 release
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 17:51:52 -0500

Posted by Brian Reinhold <br...@lampreynetworks.com>.

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@gmail.com>.
+1

<sh...@gmail.com>wrote:

> +1
>
> Thanks,
> Shameera.
>

> On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Andreas Veithen <andreas.veithen@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Andreas
>>

>> On Sunday, January 26, 2014, Sagara Gunathunga <
>> sagara.gunathunga@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I believe this is the right time to bring this discussion due to
>>> following reasons.
>>>
>>> 1. For many years I never see any user mail that indicate real use of
>>> Sandesha2, It's a question to me whether anyone still expecting newer
>>> versions of Sandesha2.
>>>
>>> 2. In my POV RM is not popular and not widely used as other WS
>>> technologies. Further some of the main users of Sandesha2 such as
>>> Synapse already decided to drop RM support.
>>>
>>> 3. From many years no one actively develop Sandesha2 code base and
>>> current situation is pathetic as test cases failing from time to time
>>> and no one have time/experience  to fix them.
>>>
>>> Going forward retiring Sandesha2 will help to keep health of Axis TLP
>>> hence here is my +1.
>>>
>>> Having said if someone willing to actively develop and maintain
>>> Sandesha2 project in near future I'm more than happy to withdraw my
>>> proposal
>>>

>>> Thanks !
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sagara Gunathunga
>>>
>>> Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
>>> Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/
>>> LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/ssagara

> Best Regards,
> Shameera Rathnayaka.

Thanks and Regards,
Isuru

Re: Retiring Sandesha2 from 1.7.0 release

Posted by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Kishanthan Thangarajah <ks...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Dormant extensions like these shouldn't hold back the Axis2 core from being released.

Thanks,
Hiranya