Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Lee Chalupa <lc...@seelink.org> on 2014/11/12 15:26:37 UTC

How to access JRoller weblogs from another web application

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
I think you are overestimating the complexity of altering the Roller
look and feel to match that of the business application (just go to the
templates page within the Roller admin and edit your CSS and fonts, etc.
to whatever the business app has), and as a result choosing a more
complex approach (RSS or Atom) that will require you to implement a full
blogging UI from scratch--including all the CSS stuff that you're
supposedly saving by not altering Roller directly.

If you can task the front-end person (may be you :) who created the
corporate website to just alter the Roller blog theme to match it
(presumably the same front-end person who would be making the new blog
UI you're proposing anyway), he/she may be able to make it identical.
Just check all the Roller blogs
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ROLLER/PoweredByRoller --
Banque de Luxembourg might be a good example) and themes
(https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/roller-extras/wiki/Themes),
Roller can be morphed to look like just about anything. With a few hours
of CSS work you blog may look 80-90% similar as your corporate site,
from there you can inch up to 100% as you have time available.

As for your second concern, again, by altering the templates, you
welcome to create whatever static links you wish to link back to the
main corporate website.  Some more Roller tips:
https://web-gmazza.rhcloud.com/blog/entry/apache-roller-blogging. Also,
the Roller documentation available from the home page has a Template
Guide to show how you can change the behavior of your blog if desired.

But if you want to start from scratch, probably reading the Roller Atom
or RSS feed and looking at the Roller source code for how to implement
commenting (or just use Disqus and skip Roller commenting) would be the
way to go.

Glen

Posted by Lee Chalupa <lc...@seelink.org>.
Glen: