Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/11 19:27:20 UTC

[DISCUSS] Default server log level

The intent of this thread is to discuss the default log level for the
Geronimo server. I'd like to limit the discussion to the near-term
(e.g. Geronimo 2.0.x). IMO, we need a good overhaul of our logging
code. I'd like to see more structure and consistency in our logging.
However, that's not a 2.0.x issue.

The current default log level for a Geronimo 2.0.1 server is ERROR.
IMO, this is too restrictive. I think we should set the default to
INFO. This will make our server logging more verbose. However, I'd
rather have too much information, rather than too little.

I think our default target audience should be application developers
and new users evaluating Geronimo. Currently, these users are forced
to configure log levels to INFO, so that they can obtain necessary
information for building and deploying applications on Geronimo. This
information should be available by default, not requiring
configuration...

Users who want to limit the logging output can reconfigure the
default logging levels, once they are more comfortable with Geronimo.

Comments?

--kevan

Re: [DISCUSS] Default server log level

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Sep 11, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>> Are you refering to console output or what is captured in the log
>> file?
>
> Heh. Come on, read my mind... :-P

Um, ya... :-P

> I'm referring to the log FILE. I'm fine with our current CONSOLE
> behavior...

Aighty, thats what I figured, but just wanted to be clear.  I think
changing the file appender to INFO is perfectly fine and
reasonable... desirable even.

--jason

Re: [DISCUSS] Default server log level

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 11, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Are you refering to console output or what is captured in the log
> file?

Heh. Come on, read my mind... :-P

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.
I agree that we should change it from ERROR to INFO.

I think any change in log4j is on the fly, i.e. you can change it any
time and you don't have to restart the server to pick up the change.

Lin

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 11, 2007, at 1:43 PM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2007, at 1:27 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>
>> The intent of this thread is to discuss the default log level for
>> the Geronimo server. I'd like to limit the discussion to the near-
>> term (e.g. Geronimo 2.0.x). IMO, we need a good overhaul of our
>> logging code. I'd like to see more structure and consistency in
>> our logging. However, that's not a 2.0.x issue.
>>
>> The current default log level for a Geronimo 2.0.1 server is
>> ERROR. IMO, this is too restrictive. I think we should set the
>> default to INFO. This will make our server logging more verbose.
>> However, I'd rather have too much information, rather than too
>> little.
>>
>> I think our default target audience should be application
>> developers and new users evaluating Geronimo. Currently, these
>> users are forced to configure log levels to INFO, so that they can
>> obtain necessary information for building and deploying
>> applications on Geronimo. This information should be available by
>> default, not requiring configuration...
>>
>> Users who want to limit the logging output can reconfigure the
>> default logging levels, once they are more comfortable with Geronimo.
>

> Right now users can add "-v" or "-vv" to the command line to
> control the logging level. How would this proposal affect those
> command line flags?

-v and -vv only impact CONSOLE logging, not log FILE logging. That
could be changed, I guess...

IMO, a threshold setting of ERROR for CONSOLE is good. I'd prefer to
see the FILE threshold set to INFO.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 11, 2007, at 1:27 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> The intent of this thread is to discuss the default log level for
> the Geronimo server. I'd like to limit the discussion to the near-
> term (e.g. Geronimo 2.0.x). IMO, we need a good overhaul of our
> logging code. I'd like to see more structure and consistency in our
> logging. However, that's not a 2.0.x issue.
>
> The current default log level for a Geronimo 2.0.1 server is ERROR.
> IMO, this is too restrictive. I think we should set the default to
> INFO. This will make our server logging more verbose. However, I'd
> rather have too much information, rather than too little.
>
> I think our default target audience should be application
> developers and new users evaluating Geronimo. Currently, these
> users are forced to configure log levels to INFO, so that they can
> obtain necessary information for building and deploying
> applications on Geronimo. This information should be available by
> default, not requiring configuration...
>
> Users who want to limit the logging output can reconfigure the
> default logging levels, once they are more comfortable with Geronimo.

Right now users can add "-v" or "-vv" to the command line to control
the logging level. How would this proposal affect those command line
flags?

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: [DISCUSS] Default server log level

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Kevan Miller wrote:
> The intent of this thread is to discuss the default log level for the
> Geronimo server. I'd like to limit the discussion to the near-term (e.g.
> Geronimo 2.0.x). IMO, we need a good overhaul of our logging code. I'd
> like to see more structure and consistency in our logging. However,
> that's not a 2.0.x issue.
>
> The current default log level for a Geronimo 2.0.1 server is ERROR. IMO,
> this is too restrictive. I think we should set the default to INFO. This
> will make our server logging more verbose. However, I'd rather have too
> much information, rather than too little.
>
> I think our default target audience should be application developers and
> new users evaluating Geronimo. Currently, these users are forced to
> configure log levels to INFO, so that they can obtain necessary
> information for building and deploying applications on Geronimo. This
> information should be available by default, not requiring configuration...
>
> Users who want to limit the logging output can reconfigure the default
> logging levels, once they are more comfortable with Geronimo.
>
> Comments?

I agree with your proposal for a default of INFO and your assertion
about our target users and what they most likely want.  I also
personally prefer to have too much info rather than too little ... so
I'm all in favor of the change.

Joe

Re: [DISCUSS] Default server log level

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I'll be the dissenting opinion :)

Personally, I don't like INFO as its too verbose and it is not
consistent across projects. If we moved it I would prefer WARN rather
than INFO but it largely depends on who we feel the largest user
population is..  I'm more concerned about people's impression of G
from a performance perspective.  Although, I'll concede that
production and performance related deployments are probably in the
minority relative to the number of developers.

I would think changing this would make most sense for 2.1 rather in
the 2.0.x stream but it probably won't make a big difference.

So, my net, is I like it where it is but won't blow a gasket on
changing it.

Posted by Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com>.
I very much favor and endorse changing the file logging level to INFO.

Ted Kirby

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.