Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/12 11:38:40 UTC

Proposal: add a permanent "Bugfix checklist" section to all manual pages

Hi docs@!

I have been thinking a way to inform users about our best practices when
finding inconsistencies in the docs, namely checking CHANGES and Bugzilla
first. Most of the times occasional users (or even experienced ones) tend
to forget where the changelog is, if httpd uses bugzilla or not, etc.. so
it would be great in my opinion to add a "reminder" in our manual pages.
The attached patch will add a little section in the right column (right
below "See also") to provide the aforementioned links.

Position, wording, etc.. can be changed of course, this email is only meant
to discuss the idea. If you don't like it, just state it out loud and I'll
drop it :)

Let me know your thoughts!

Luca

Re: Proposal: add a permanent "Bugfix checklist" section to all manual pages

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christophe,

thanks for the feedback!

>:

> Hi,
>
> I don't think it would be the right place for that.
> When I'm looking for some doc, I'm not looking for changelog or bug
> reports.
> I expect the doc to be up-to-date and to have compatibility notes when
> needed (new functionality, changed behavior...)
>
> Maybe an entry on the main page (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/) under
> "Release Notes" for a link to the changelog and another one under "Other
> Topics" for reporting something to bugzilla?
>
> More than that would display, IMHO, no that useful information.
>
> Just my 2 cents.

Adding some context about this idea: some days ago there was an email
thread in users@ about a strange behavior showed by the AllowOverrideList
directive, eventually turning up in a real bug. The documentation therefore
is consistent only from httpd version 2.4.20 onwards, and I wanted to add a
note to it (http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1737382)
but I ended up putting it in the wrong place. Since the main takeaway was
to check CHANGES and bugzilla first, I wanted to add quicklinks for users
not familiar with them in a visible place. We can put it under a section in
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4, but I would have preferred a more
recurrent and visible place.

"Compatibility" might be a better candidate as you pointed out! I checked
mod_core's documentation and indeed we have similar notes, even though this
one should look like "working only from version 2.18.20,  that looks weird
to me.

Anyhow, good discussion, let's see if other people have comments!

Regards,

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 04/12/2016 12:57 PM, Christophe JAILLET wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't think it would be the right place for that.
> When I'm looking for some doc, I'm not looking for changelog or bug reports.
> I expect the doc to be up-to-date and to have compatibility notes when
> needed (new functionality, changed behavior...)

The trouble is that "up to date" means very different things for
different people. Folks that are running a third-party distribution of
the server often think that they are up to date when they are not, by
some other definition.

Based on conversations on IRC, and the kinds of questions people ask, I
think this would be really useful information.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Proposal: add a permanent "Bugfix checklist" section to all manual pages

Posted by Christophe JAILLET <ch...@wanadoo.fr>.
Hi,

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 04/26/2016 03:08 AM, Luca Toscano wrote:
>     --- Why is HTTPD in capitals ? It's written httpd in whole doc ?
>

> IIRC was asked on IRC as way to put the HTTPD name in evidence and to be
> more consistent with naming across the docs, but I have to admit that I
> haven't checked very carefully and it might be a very good point to
> switch to 'httpd'. Any suggestion?

I believe that if you look through the archives, you'll find that Roy
has definite opinions on this. :-)

httpd is the name of the executable file.

The project is named 'The Apache HTTP Server Project' according to the
main website. Also:

The Apache HTTP Server ("httpd")

and

Apache httpd

I don't think we use HTTPD anywhere. Also, don't use HTTPd. That's just
poking the bear.

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.

> but perhaps "Doc Feedback" instead of "Comments" . . .
>
> (this could decrease the number of Q/A comments)

I would prefer to keep Comments since it is easier to read, plus we have a
big warning about Q/A comments that is often not considered :(

> Le 28/04/2016 à 20:52, Christophe JAILLET a écrit :
>
> Le 28/04/2016 à 09:44, Luca Toscano a écrit :

>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 7:43 AM, Lucien Gentis
>> <lu...@univ-lorraine.fr> wrote:
>> > I think of something like "Comments about this doc", since these are
>> only
>> > comments about the doc.
>>
>> Doc Feedback? I think space is at a premium in that sidebar.
>>

> One solution could be http://apaste.info/IyX
>
> The "See also" section at the moment is only  visualized if some document
> is linked in a xml file, but it could be displayed also if only the
> comments are present. This will avoid the creation of a new title/section
> in the right panel and will fix the visual inconsistency of the comments in
> all the doc pages.
>
> Let me know!
>
> Luca
>
> +1 for displaying "See also" all the time and having "Comment" in it.

Done! At this point, I think that the whole change (several commits) can be
backported to 2.4, but I'll wait a couple of days to let it boil in trunk.

Thanks a lot for all the feedbacks! I really like the fact that this change
has been shaped by a very active docs mailing list :)

Posted by Lucien Gentis <lu...@univ-lorraine.fr>.

--
Lucien GENTIS
UNIVERSITE DE LORRAINE - ESPE

Tél. 03 72 74 13 28
Email : lucien.gentis@univ-lorraine.fr

Re: Proposal: add a permanent "Bugfix checklist" section to all manual pages

Posted by Christophe JAILLET <ch...@wanadoo.fr>.

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lucien Gentis <lu...@univ-lorraine.fr>.

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.

> Le 25/04/2016 13:49, Rich Bowen a écrit :
>
>> This is great. And it'll have the side-effect that it's likely to help
>> us identify issues that have been open for ages and are either already
>> addressed, or could be addressed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> On 04/24/2016 05:18 PM, Luca Toscano wrote:
>>
>>> New version just committed, examples:
>>>
>>> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_lua.html
>>> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/event.html
>>>

> Nice thing !
>
> User has yet direct link to known issues, and new bug opening.
>
> Just little remarks :
>
> --- Why is HTTPD in capitals ? It's written httpd in whole doc ?

IIRC was asked on IRC as way to put the HTTPD name in evidence and to be
more consistent with naming across the docs, but I have to admit that I
haven't checked very carefully and it might be a very good point to switch
to 'httpd'. Any suggestion?

> --- "Bugfix checklist" panel does not appear in translated pages. Perhaps
> it's still to come ?

This is probably my fault, I modified only the style/lang/* files and the
synopsis.xsl thinking that it would have been enough. Am I missing
something?

> --- In mod_lua, "Comments" appears as an item of "Bugfix checklist", but
> in event, it appears as an item of "See also"

Very good point, I noticed the same inconsistency. This is due to the fact
that sometimes comments are under See Also, meanwhile other times are left
alone. I thought it was clear with the extra space that comments wasn't
belonging to the Bugfix checklist, but there is definitely the space for
some extra improvement in the doc. What do you think about fixing this as
follow up?

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Posted by Lucien Gentis <lu...@univ-lorraine.fr>.

Le 25/04/2016 13:49, Rich Bowen a écrit :
> This is great. And it'll have the side-effect that it's likely to help
> us identify issues that have been open for ages and are either already
> addressed, or could be addressed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> On 04/24/2016 05:18 PM, Luca Toscano wrote:
>> New version just committed, examples:
>>
>> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_lua.html
>> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/event.html

Nice thing !

User has yet direct link to known issues, and new bug opening.

Just little remarks :

--- Why is HTTPD in capitals ? It's written httpd in whole doc ?
--- "Bugfix checklist" panel does not appear in translated pages.
Perhaps it's still to come ?
--- In mod_lua, "Comments" appears as an item of "Bugfix checklist", but
in event, it appears as an item of "See also"

Lucien

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.
>:

> Le 24/04/2016 à 23:18, Luca Toscano a écrit :
>

> New version just committed, examples:
>
> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_lua.html
> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/event.html
>
> Luca
>

> You could help even more bug-report with something like:
>
> https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?component=mod_lua&product=Apache%20httpd-2
>                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> with the same trick already used for bugzilla filtering.
>

> Also, I wouldn't add ":" at the end of "Bugfix checklist:"
>

> +1 for both, I will try to add the suggested changes today!

Thanks!

Posted by Christophe JAILLET <ch...@wanadoo.fr>.

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.
+docs@

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.

>> Hi docs@!
>>
>> I have been thinking a way to inform users about our best practices when
>> finding inconsistencies in the docs, namely checking CHANGES and Bugzilla
>> first. Most of the times occasional users (or even experienced ones) tend
>> to forget where the changelog is, if httpd uses bugzilla or not, etc.. so
>> it would be great in my opinion to add a "reminder" in our manual pages.
>> The attached patch will add a little section in the right column (right
>> below "See also") to provide the aforementioned links.
>>
>> Position, wording, etc.. can be changed of course, this email is only
>> meant to discuss the idea. If you don't like it, just state it out loud and
>> I'll drop it :)
>>
>> Let me know your thoughts!
>>
>> Luca
>>

> Restarted from the first email to avoid a quoting mess. I attached the
> final patch that would basically add the "Bugfix checklist" section before
> "see also" on each module's page. I wanted to restrict the scope of this
> patch to the places in which occasional users will benefit more rather than
> adding it to the whole documentation.
>
> Christophe, André, Rich: if you want to review the patch it would be
> really great. If anybody feels very strong against it I'll drop it.

Committed in trunk, you can see some examples in:

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/event.html
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_lua.html

Some comments made so far:

- add the module's name to the bugzilla link (Open bugs) to visualize only
relevant bugs
- move Httpd to HTTPD
- think about moving "Bugfix checkilist" to "Developer Resources" (still
thinking about this one because I'd like to keep something that connect the
user looking for a bug to these links).

Any other feedback is welcome!

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
Please forgive me, I'm not ignoring you, just leading up to a major
conference tomorrow. I'll try to look at this in the airport today.

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.

> Hi docs@!
>
> I have been thinking a way to inform users about our best practices when
> finding inconsistencies in the docs, namely checking CHANGES and Bugzilla
> first. Most of the times occasional users (or even experienced ones) tend
> to forget where the changelog is, if httpd uses bugzilla or not, etc.. so
> it would be great in my opinion to add a "reminder" in our manual pages.
> The attached patch will add a little section in the right column (right
> below "See also") to provide the aforementioned links.
>
> Position, wording, etc.. can be changed of course, this email is only
> meant to discuss the idea. If you don't like it, just state it out loud and
> I'll drop it :)
>
> Let me know your thoughts!
>
> Luca

Restarted from the first email to avoid a quoting mess. I attached the
final patch that would basically add the "Bugfix checklist" section before
"see also" on each module's page. I wanted to restrict the scope of this
patch to the places in which occasional users will benefit more rather than
adding it to the whole documentation.

Christophe, Andr茅, Rich: if you want to review the patch it would be really

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Luca Toscano wrote:

> Hi André,
>
> Thanks for the feedback!

> > Hi Luca,
> >
> > * Luca Toscano wrote:
> > > Hi docs@!
> > >
> > > I have been thinking a way to inform users about our best practices
> > > when finding inconsistencies in the docs, namely checking CHANGES and
> > > Bugzilla first. Most of the times occasional users (or even experienced
> > > ones) tend to forget where the changelog is, if httpd uses bugzilla or
> > > not, etc.. so it would be great in my opinion to add a "reminder" in
> > > our manual pages. The attached patch will add a little section in the
> > > right column (right below "See also") to provide the aforementioned
> > > links.
> > >
> > > Position, wording, etc.. can be changed of course, this email is only
> >
> > meant
> >
> > > to discuss the idea. If you don't like it, just state it out loud and
> >
> > I'll
> >
> > > drop it :)
> >
> > I think, it's a good idea.
> >
> > Technical notes:
> >
> > - please separate space changes from functional changes

Your patch contained both formatting changes (removed trailing spaces)
and "real" changes. Please separate these kinds of changes (easier to
review).

Cheers,

nd
--
Real programmers confuse Christmas and Halloween because
DEC 25 = OCT 31.  -- Unknown

                                      (found in ssl_engine_mutex.c)

Re: Proposal: add a permanent "Bugfix checklist" section to all manual pages

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi André,

Thanks for the feedback!

> Hi Luca,
>
> * Luca Toscano wrote:
>
> > Hi docs@!
> >
> > I have been thinking a way to inform users about our best practices when
> > finding inconsistencies in the docs, namely checking CHANGES and Bugzilla
> > first. Most of the times occasional users (or even experienced ones) tend
> > to forget where the changelog is, if httpd uses bugzilla or not, etc.. so
> > it would be great in my opinion to add a "reminder" in our manual pages.
> > The attached patch will add a little section in the right column (right
> > below "See also") to provide the aforementioned links.
> >
> > Position, wording, etc.. can be changed of course, this email is only
> meant
> > to discuss the idea. If you don't like it, just state it out loud and
> I'll
> > drop it :)
>
> I think, it's a good idea.
>
> Technical notes:
>
> - please separate space changes from functional changes

Not sure I follow this one, can you add a bit more info?

> - you need to put the message into all language files

Yep got it!

> - please use the version entities for the version

Ok!

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
Hi Luca,

* Luca Toscano wrote:

> Hi docs@!
>
> I have been thinking a way to inform users about our best practices when
> finding inconsistencies in the docs, namely checking CHANGES and Bugzilla
> first. Most of the times occasional users (or even experienced ones) tend
> to forget where the changelog is, if httpd uses bugzilla or not, etc.. so
> it would be great in my opinion to add a "reminder" in our manual pages.
> The attached patch will add a little section in the right column (right
> below "See also") to provide the aforementioned links.
>
> Position, wording, etc.. can be changed of course, this email is only meant
> to discuss the idea. If you don't like it, just state it out loud and I'll
> drop it :)

I think, it's a good idea.

Technical notes:

- please separate space changes from functional changes
- you need to put the message into all language files
- please use the version entities for the version

Thanks!
--
Already I've seen people (really!) write web URLs in the form:
http:\\some.site.somewhere

Re: Proposal: add a permanent "Bugfix checklist" section to all manual pages

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 04/12/2016 05:38 AM, Luca Toscano wrote:
> Hi docs@!
>
> I have been thinking a way to inform users about our best practices when
> finding inconsistencies in the docs, namely checking CHANGES and
> Bugzilla first. Most of the times occasional users (or even experienced
> ones) tend to forget where the changelog is, if httpd uses bugzilla or
> not, etc.. so it would be great in my opinion to add a "reminder" in our
> manual pages. The attached patch will add a little section in the right
> column (right below "See also") to provide the aforementioned links.

I like this idea. Also, remember that people often read an individual
manual doc, completely out of context from the rest of the manual, and
so having useful "see also" links like this is hugely useful to, as you
say, occasional users.