Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bijoy Thomas <bi...@gwu.edu> on 2004/07/14 04:05:09 UTC

[users@httpd] UserDir doubt

Hi all,

  I'm trying to get the  UserDir option in httpd.conf to work. The directive is placed in the <IfModule mod_userdir.c> container. How do I know if that module is loaded. The httpd -l command will tell me wats statically liked into Apache right? How can I know what modules are dynamically loaded?

I have a user named bijoyjth. I assume it is loaded bcoz when I try http://localhost/~bijoyjth it gives me a 403 Forbidden error. The apache processes are running as 'nobody' and the index.html file in public_html directory of bijoyjth has permissions rw_r__r__ . UserDir in httpd.conf is set to public_html. What else shud I do?

Thanks in advance,
Bijoy.

Re: [users@httpd] UserDir doubt

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:05:09 -0400, Bijoy Thomas <bi...@gwu.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I'm trying to get the  UserDir option in httpd.conf to work. The directive is placed in the <IfModule mod_userdir.c> container. How do I know if that module is loaded. The httpd -l command will tell me wats statically liked into Apache right? How can I know what modules are dynamically loaded?

Remove the <IfModule> container.  It is completely unnecessary, and
just hides the useful error message you would get if the module wasn't
loaded.

> I have a user named bijoyjth. I assume it is loaded bcoz when I try http://localhost/~bijoyjth it gives me a 403 Forbidden error. The apache processes are running as 'nobody' and the index.html file in public_html directory of bijoyjth has permissions rw_r__r__ . UserDir in httpd.conf is set to public_html. What else shud I do?

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#forbidden
Which says:

1. Check the error log.
2. Check the permissions on all parent directories.

Joshua.