Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Disha <di...@openskysoftware.com> on 2003/04/09 17:47:58 UTC

Spool getting filled up

Hi James users,
I have our sendmail routed to use james as the mail server. Now since
last 2 days every evening our spool fills up with error messages. This
fills up the entire database because James tries to resend these
messages over and over again.

Here is the error from the maillog:

Apr  9 08:31:28 copernicus sendmail[12245]: h390oa815578:
to=root@copernicus, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=12:40:52, xdelay=00:00:00,
mailer=esmtp, pri=1202657, relay=localhost.openskysoftware.com.
[127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: 451 Error processing message:
Exception spooling message: Exception caught while storing m...: An IO
erro occured while sending to the backend - Exception:
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

restarted james and sendmail, error message begins to fill up the spool
table. It essentially says "unable to deliver due to mail server
failure".

What I would like to know is that Is there any way I can stop spool from
getting filled up and growing excessively large incase of any error in
the server?

Thanks,
--Disha
--