Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Roland Villemoes <rv...@alpha-solutions.dk> on 2010/02/19 11:28:26 UTC

Question regarding wildcards and dismax

Hi all,

We have a web application build on top of Solr, and we are using a lot of facets - everything works just fine.
When the user first hits the searchpage - we would like to do a "get all query" to the a result, and thereby get all facets so we can build up the user interface from this result/facets.

So I would like to do a q=*:* on the search. But since I have switched to the dismax requesthandler this does not work anymore. ?

My request/url looks like this:

a)       /solr/da/mysearcher/?q=*:*           Does not work

b)      /solr/da/select?q=*:*                          Does work

But I really need to use a) since I control boosting/ranking in the definition.
Furthermore when the user "drill down" the search result, by selecting from the facets, I still need to get the full searchresult, like:

/solr/da/mysearcher/?q=*:*&fq=color:red     Does not work.

Can anyone help here? I think that the situation for my web application here is quite normal (Get a full resultset to build facets, then let the user du a drill down etc....)

Thanks a lot in advance

med venlig hilsen/best regards

Roland Villemoes
Tel: (+45) 22 69 59 62
E-Mail: mailto:rv@alpha-solutions.dk

Alpha Solutions A/S
Borgergade 2, 3.sal, 1300 København K
Tel: (+45) 70 20 65 38
Web: http://www.alpha-solutions.dk<http://www.alpha-solutions.dk/>

** This message including any attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you should delete this message. Any printing, copying, distribution or other use of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone, or e-mail and delete all copies of this message and any attachments from your system. Thank you.

Re: Question regarding wildcards and dismax

Posted by gwk <gi...@eyefi.nl>.
Have a look at the q.alt parameter
(http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DisMaxRequestHandler#q.alt) which is used
for exactly this issue. Basically putting q.alt=*:* in your query means
you can leave out the q parameter if you want all documents to be selected.

Regards,

gwk