Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Jeremy Hughes <jp...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/25 17:21:04 UTC

Contents of an uber-bundle source-release zip (was: Re: [CANCELLED] [VOTE] subsystem-bundle 1.0.0)

The subsystem source-release.zip contains enough 'source' to build and test
the release as required by the 'what must every ASF release contain?' The
very nature of the uber bundle is to pull together other bundles into one.
The bundle isn't built from .java source, it is built from the .class files
from the output of other subsystem submodules. So if you want to debug the
'uber bundle' and just the 'uber' part of the 'uber bundle' rather than the
source of the .class files that lives within it, then what's provided is
sufficient. If you want to actually debug code, you need to get the
individual bundles that the 'uber' bundle comprises.

OK so it feels like I'm splitting hairs here and I can see an argument for
this not adhering to the spirit of the rule. The fact is though, our build
doesn't build the bundle from source - it builds it from the binaries
created from the source of another released artifact from Aries.

The nice thing about the sources-release.zip is it is when extracted, it is
buildable by maven. We could add a zip of the source of the component
bundles inside the sources-release.zip. I think that's the simplest
solution here.

btw: Blueprint uber operates in the same way as above.

Cheers,
Jeremy