Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Jun HE <ju...@apache.org> on 2018/08/07 16:11:53 UTC

[DISCUSS] Bigtop 1.3.0 release

Hi, folks,

As you may read from previous thread, I'm proposing to do a new release,
1.3.0, before ApacheCon in Sept.
I'm a +1 for this because:
* quite a few fixes/improvements for building and deployment
* important components upgrade
* x86 and non-x86 platforms are aligned in master

If there are enough votes for a release I'd like to volunteer to be the RM
for 1.3.0.

Evans has initiated a well-defined release BOM (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-2945), and I did some minor
modifications mainly about components versions in 1.3.0.
And issues might need fix: https://s.apache.org/Ja7e

Your comments/thoughts are mostly welcomed!

Regards,

Jun

Re: [DISCUSS] Bigtop 1.3.0 release

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Hi Jun,

We should do a release in order to push out changes which accumulate over the time. So I you have my +1

But bigtop needs some cleanup:

1) How do we handle failing packages?

My vote is to simply remove them:

Candidates are crunch, oozie, pig

I only looked at oozie right now:

oozie seems to be broken by conflicting requirements by log4j and shared libraries between hive and oozie see BIGTOP-2986
IMHO hive2 is way more important than having oozie, so I would say either oozie is fixed or out.
There is another issue related to oozie packaging, though easy fixable: BIGTOP-3051. Looking at that I have to conclude that oozie never worked correctly in 1.2.x
Putting all that together I would recommend to remove oozie from Bigtop for now.

2) I have a bad feeling for staying at hadoop-2.8.1. But since I do not have any productive environment any more I cannot judge why we should not upgrade to 2.8.4

thanks,

olaf

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.
BIGTOP-3075 reviewed. Just need a rebase.

For BIGTOP-3079, Kafka 0.10.1.1 is 2 years old. I'm very much like to have
it upgraded.
Besides that, due to rocksdb license ban by ASF, we removed Kafka binary
artifact from by S3, which is not good for user experience.

I'll try to look into it. but not sure how much I can do. The very last
solution is as what you suggested, keep them as is.

sign packages:
Just your code signing key. Your public key is on "KEYS".

upload to S3:
We'll send you the credential.

deploy artifacts:
This requires your ASF account. But I'm not quite sure whether you can
perform the operations. Just let me know when you're blocked.

Jun HE <ry...@gmail.com> 於 2018年9月17日 週一 下午1:05寫道:

Posted by Jun HE <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] Bigtop 1.3.0 release

Posted by Jun HE <ju...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the info, Andrew.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] Bigtop 1.3.0 release

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.
The BOM looks good to me.
Shall we add Ubuntu 18.04? Any distro-wise input?

Jun HE <ry...@gmail.com> 於 2018年8月14日 週二 下午4:12寫道:

Posted by Jun HE <ry...@gmail.com>.
Hi, folks,

Posted by Dan Moraru <dm...@ligo-wa.caltech.edu>.

Posted by Jun HE <ry...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your inputs.

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.
Yes. We've features/bugfixes stacked up over time and definitely need a
release.
I'm +1 to what Olaf said. Unless someone is willing to take over the task
and fix it.
From my perspective, Oozie and Pig's market are declining. So I suggest

Posted by Naresh Bhat <na...@linaro.org>.
+1

Posted by Ganesh Raju <ga...@linaro.org>.
+1

--
IRC: ganeshraju@#linaro on irc.freenode.ne <http://irc.freenode.net/>t

Re: [DISCUSS] Bigtop 1.3.0 release

Posted by Kevin Monroe <ke...@canonical.com>.
+1 on a 1.3.0 release.  Thanks for volunteering as the RM!

-Kevin