Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Varley, Roger" <Ro...@brake.co.uk> on 2003/01/28 12:47:09 UTC

sendRedirect() fails on first call only within a session

Hi

I'm using IIS to serve the top level html pages from a web application that
runs under Tomcat 3.2. The first page (default.htm) in the top level
directory (http://domain/applicationname is displayed and prompts for userid
and password and passes this data to a servlet
/domain/applicationname/servlet/doLogin in a POST request. If the
userid/password is invalid the servlet issues

response.sendRedirect(response.encodeRedirectURL("../default.htm")); to
redisplay the original form.

What actually happens is that if an invalid password is entered into
default.htm when it is displayed for the first time in a session, the
redirection displays the standard IIS 404 Not Found page. If I then navigate
back to default.htm by either using the browsers back button, or re-entering
the URL in the adress bar and re-enter an invalid password, then the
re-direction call works and re-displays default.htm and will continue to do
so for as long as I keep entering invalid passwords.

Any ideas what's going on?

Regards
Roger