Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> on 2021/06/21 16:21:51 UTC

Native part of Apache NetBeans build and release

Hi,

I'm not confident in native build.

I remember Laars doing stuff on launcher / profiler on the native part of
the code but, that was never released. More recently Jan is trying to
improve the script to release launcher and use Maven artefacts.

For the release process it's a bit messy as we go to osuol.

I wonder if having dedicated repository for launcher, profiler and others <
modules > may help ?

Having others repo may help to keep release apache/netbeans main repo clear
of tags that we will introduce for delevering launcher. It should easy
review process don't have to clone the all netbeans repo. We may tweak build
to < optimize > for native compilation best practice.

But this may be impossible to build if not in the NetBeans build system.

Does anyone know if crosscompile works well and would it possible for a WSL
user like me to prepare a release for a library native that target
macos,windows,and linux.

Would be happy to get feedback.

Best Regards

Eric

RE: Native part of Apache NetBeans build and release

Posted by Eric Barboni <Er...@irit.fr>.
Hi Neil,
Got a first step !!

mingw-w64 mingw-w64-tools is needed

git clone https://github.com/ebarboni/netbeans-native-tests

makefile.mingw altered to put output in target folder (a la maven)
some cpp/h need to change import path

release (need commiter account,working  gpg and release settings.xml set for Apache)
mvn clean install -Papache-
mvn deploy

it works like for nbm maven plugin,
 source-release go to zip we may but on dist. Zip,pom and sources goes to central
(for the moment repository.apache.org)

If it's ok, I will create a proper Apache git, and try to preserve history.

Best Regards
Eric

> I remember Laars doing stuff on launcher / profiler on the native part
> of the code but, that was never released. More recently Jan is trying
> to improve the script to release launcher and use Maven artefacts.
>
> For the release process it's a bit messy as we go to osuol.
>
> I wonder if having dedicated repository for launcher, profiler and
> others < modules > may help ?

Possibly.  Have said before I think we need at least separate source and binary release votes for all native artefacts.

We've had issues before with the native launcher build in the IDE build script - we end up with two different paths by which people can pick up the native binaries, not necessarily in sync.  Even more of an issue with addition of Swift launcher.

It would be easier to vote and have them on Maven or dist.a.o so every IDE build shares the same path.

It would also mean they're properly voted on before hitting any distribution channel - at the moment it's a little chicken and egg.

2c

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Native part of Apache NetBeans build and release

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.