Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Siddharth Raghavan <SI...@audiencescience.com> on 2009/10/23 01:52:29 UTC

Restarting a single zookeeper Server on the same port within the process

Hello,

I need to restart a single zookeeper server node on the same port within
my unit tests.

I tried stopping the server, having a delay and restarting it on the
same port. But the server doesn't startup. When I re-start on a
different port, it starts up correctly.

Can you let me know how I can make this one work.

Thank you.

Regards,

Siddharth

Re: Restarting a single zookeeper Server on the same port within the process

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Siddharth Raghavan wrote:
> I need to restart a single zookeeper server node on the same port within
> my unit tests.

Are you testing c or java client?

> I tried stopping the server, having a delay and restarting it on the
> same port. But the server doesn't startup. When I re-start on a
> different port, it starts up correctly.

You may be running into this:
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~fine/Tech/addrinuse.html

Take a look at the zk tests, we do this in some cases and it works for
us so you should be able to do similar.

See RecoveryTest.java or TestClient.cc for java and c respectively. Ring
us back if you still have questions.

Patrick

Re: Restarting a single zookeeper Server on the same port within the process

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
It isn't exactly an answer to your question, but sometimes you can start the
server with a @BeforeClass setup and then use a @Before setup to delete
everything before each test.  This doesn't avoid your problem, but it does
minimize it because you don't have to restart servers soooo often.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: Restarting a single zookeeper Server on the same port within the process

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi Siddharth,