Posted to mod_dtcl@tcl.apache.org by mi...@aldan.algebra.com on 2001/07/12 00:14:05 UTC

accessing CGI variables

They used to be in the VARS array. Now, the documentation says to
call hgetvars to populate the array. Unfortunately, only the ENVS
array gets populated by that. In fact, there is no string "VARS" in
the entire tcl_commands.c :(

What's the new procedure (and why is it not documented)?

	-mi

Re: accessing CGI variables

Posted by Pierre-Mikael Legris <pe...@perki.com>.
I compiled mod_dtcl yesterday night and I have the same problem, I'll
have a look tonight.

By the way Alan, what's the version of your apache server?

PM Legris

Re: accessing CGI variables

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@apache.org>.
Mikhail Teterin <mi...@aldan.algebra.com> writes:

> On 12 Jul, David N. Welton wrote:
> [...]
> > but  VARS  gets  created  in  mod_dtcl.c...oops, I  did  have  an  #if
> > backwards. Thanks for catching this:-) Fixed and committed.

> Interesting... :| Could you send me the diff, so the FreeBSD port
> works until the next release?

I will put out a new release within the next day or two.

> >> What's the new procedure (and why is it not documented)?

> > The new procedure is the 'var' command, as discussed here a few
> > weeks ago. And it is documented on the 'commands' page. I need to
> > create a few new examples pages, though (one for .tcl files too).

> The only doc I know is

> 	http://tcl.apache.org/mod_dtcl/documentation.ttml

> Where is the 'commands' page?

I was under the impression that you were using the CVS code.

> > Thanks again...  If no one tells me what they don't like or if
> > something isn't working for them, it doesn't get fixed!

> Well, usually, a software project develops a (growing) set of
> regression tests, which are run before each change is committed, and
> definetly before a release is made. But now I sound condescending...

<pissy mood>
Usually, if there is a problem, *someone* mentions it.  I find it
disheartening that no one has written about this...  I mean, does
anyone give a shit?  If not, I have better things to do with my time.
</pissy mood>

Mikhail, thank you for letting me know about this.  The problem has
been corrected in the CVS code, which has correct documentation, and
will be released soon.

As far as a regression test, we do have one, but it needs to be
extended.  If you have experience with writing testing code, your
contributions would be more than welcome.  I do not have this
experience myself.

The technical problem is that to really exercise everything, you need
to launch Apache in some kind of controlled environment...  Ideas on
how to do this?

> BTW, that doc-page above gives a link to the mailing archive, which
> is only available up to December.  I can set up archiving on a
> private news-server (I already archive 4 mailing lists there)... Let
> me know if you care...

What kind of web access can you provide?  The ASF doesn't really have
any provisions for doing mailing list archives, other than flat text
files, which aren't of much use.  What I'd like to see is a
searchable, threaded archive.  But even if that's not possible,
anything is better than what we have now.

Thankyou,
--
David N. Welton
   Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/

Re: accessing CGI variables

Posted by Mikhail Teterin <mi...@aldan.algebra.com>.
On 12 Jul, David N. Welton wrote:
[...]
> but  VARS  gets  created  in  mod_dtcl.c...oops, I  did  have  an  #if
> backwards. Thanks for catching this:-) Fixed and committed.

Interesting... :| Could you send me the diff,  so the FreeBSD port works
until the next release?

>> What's the new procedure (and why is it not documented)?
>
> The new procedure is the 'var'  command, as discussed here a few weeks
> ago. And it is  documented on the 'commands' page. I  need to create a
> few new examples pages, though (one for .tcl files too).

The only doc I know is

	http://tcl.apache.org/mod_dtcl/documentation.ttml

Where is the 'commands' page?

> Thanks  again...  If no  one  tells  me what  they  don't  like or  if
> something isn't working for them, it doesn't get fixed!

Well, usually, a software project develops a (growing) set of regression
tests,  which are  run before  each change  is committed,  and definetly
before a release is made. But now I sound condescending...

BTW, that doc-page  above gives a link to the  mailing archive, which is
only  available up  to December.  I can  set up  archiving on  a private
news-server (I already archive 4 mailing  lists there)... Let me know if
you care... Yours,

--
                         |\__-----__/|
                    _____/ :::::  :::\_____
                    | :|:::::. ::|: |::|.:|	      Stanislaw J. Lec
                     \ |::  :::_/::/: :|:/
                   ((___\____\____/___/___))

Re: accessing CGI variables

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@apache.org>.
mi@aldan.algebra.com writes:

> They used to be in the VARS array. Now, the documentation says to
> call hgetvars to populate the array. Unfortunately, only the ENVS
> array gets populated by that. In fact, there is no string "VARS" in
> the entire tcl_commands.c :(

First of all, hgetvars is mentioned because at one point it was
necessary to call it.  I'll change the docs.  mod_dtcl has changed a
lot since when I began the project:-)

Second, VARS still exists, by default, unless this is set in
mod_dtcl.h:

/* Turn off 'old-style' $VARS variable handling, and use only the
   'var' command. */
#define USE_ONLY_VAR_COMMAND 0

         Work: http://www.innominate.com/