Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jacob Singh <ja...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/01 09:49:47 UTC

Re: Rsyncd start and stop for multiple instances

Hi Bill and Others:

Bill Au wrote:
> The rsyncd-start scripts gets the data_dir path from the command line and
> create a rsyncd.conf on the fly exporting the path as the rsync module named
> "solr".  The salves need the data_dir path on the master to look for the
> latest snapshot.  But the rsync command used by the slaves relies on the
> rsync module name "solr" to do the file transfer using rsyncd.

So is the answer that replication simply won't work for multiple
instances unless I have a dedicated port for each one?

Or is the answer that I have to hack the existing scripts?

I'm a little confused when you say that slave needs to know the master's
data dir, but, no matter what it sends, it needs to match the one known
by the master when it starts rsyncd...

Sorry if my questions are newbie, I've not actually used rsyncd, but
I've read up quite a bit now.

Thanks,
Jacob

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: How can I hack the existing script to support multiple rsync module

you might want to just consult some rsyncd resources to answer this
question, i believe adding a new "[modname]" block is how you add a
module, with the path/comment keys listed underneight, however...

1) i don't believe it's recommended to do this with the solr replication
scripts ... having a seperate rsyncd port per index is considered the best
appraoch (last time i checked anyway)

2) you should probably consider using the java replication if you're
dealing with multiiple indexes ... it's definitely moving to replace the
script based replication.  if script based replication wwas working
perfeclty for you, i wouldn't really recommend that you switch (especially
since i haven't even had a chance to test out the java replication) but
since it soundsl ike script based replication doesn't currently meet your
needs, it would be worth investigating.

-Hoss

Re: Rsyncd start and stop for multiple instances

Posted by sunnyfr <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

How can I hack the existing script to support multiple rsync module

#### rsyncd.conf file ####

uid = root
gid = root
use chroot = no
list = no
pid file = /data/solr/book/logs/rsyncd.pid
log file = /data/solr/book/logs/rsyncd.log
[solr]
    path = /data/solr/book/data
    comment = Solr

How do I do for /data/solr/user ??