Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Localhost shell <un...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/27 18:46:34 UTC

Performance graphs

Hey All,

I couldn't find the performance comparison graphs on the apache site.
I found few at info at
https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix/wiki/Performance but it's quite old
and also the data and nature of query is also very basic.

Query: select count(1) from table over 1M and 5M rows. Data is 3 narrow
columns. Number of Region Server: 1 (Virtual Machine, HBase heap: 2GB,
Processor: 2 cores @ 3.3GHz Xeon)

Can anyone point me to some more concrete performance number if available?

--Harshit

Re: Performance graphs

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
One other factor to keep in mind: these performance graphs in general
measure a simple aggregate query that runs over all of the data. This is
practically the "best" case scenario for these other products. For queries
which are point lookups, the difference in performance will be much more
dramatic: on the order of milliseconds for Phoenix versus tens of minutes
for the other tools. I encourage you to do your own benchmarking. The
reason (besides the obvious one that HBase is really good at point
lookups), is that Phoenix is able to narrow down the set of rows being
considered when you have a composite row key, while often other tools
aren't.

Thanks,
James

Re: Performance graphs