Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2021/04/09 07:26:17 UTC

[DISCUSS] Using qemu-kvm vs qemu-kvm-ev with CloudStack

All,

We've recently seen some tests around live VM with storage failing on CentOS7 which is addressed in this PR:

Some users have added on the original issue ticket that it works with qemu-kvm-ev on CentOS:
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/4757#issuecomment-812595973

I also see many other IaaS platforms notably oVirt using qemu-kvm-ev, is there any interest and argument in saying we test and update our docs to advise users to use qemu-kvm-ev on CentOS? Are there any CloudStack users who want to share their experience with it who may be using it already?

The installation steps don't require configuring any 3rd party repository manually and usually done with:

yum install centos-release-qemu-ev
yum install qemu-kvm-ev

Additional references:
https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-virt/2015-October/004717.html (what is qemu-kvm vs qemu-kvm-ev)
https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Virtualization (the SIG that is behind the qemu-kvm-ev repository)

Thanks and regards.

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: [DISCUSS] Using qemu-kvm vs qemu-kvm-ev with CloudStack

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
qemu-kvm-ev from regular CentOS SIG repo will NOT support
live-storage-migration.

Only the equivalent qemu-kvm-ev from the oVirt repo will support this.

This drifts far away from the stock CentOS 7 that most people are using, or
are using by default.
I would leave up to the user to upgrade their infra based on their testing
of these external qemu version (that obviously works fine for various users
across various companies using CentOS 7).

But I would still continue to "disable' the tests in the Marvin suite, like
they were disabled so far.

Again, please note only the oVirt version of qemu-kvm-ev is the good one,
the "regular one" from the the CentOS SIG repo us useless in sense of
live-storage migration (unless something has changed last 3 months that I'm
not aware of)

+1 for Doc update to use oVirt qemu-kmv-ev in production (and test it...)

--

Andrija Panić

Re: [DISCUSS] Using qemu-kvm vs qemu-kvm-ev with CloudStack

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

--

Andrija Panić

Re: [DISCUSS] Using qemu-kvm vs qemu-kvm-ev with CloudStack

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.