Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Emmanuel Sowah <es...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/21 23:31:59 UTC

The Rise and Fall of Tapestry

Hi guys,

Tapestry did not make it to a recent Web frameworks report released by
Zeroturnaround found here:
http://zeroturnaround.com/rebellabs/the-2014-decision-makers-guide-to-java-web-frameworks/
.

This to me, and many others, is the clearest evidence yet that Tapestry has
failed and that Tapestry is no more relevant. Tapestry, once a rising star
with huge following, is reduced to rags with a very small cult following.
Users of Tapestry now are mostly newbies to Java or just finished school
and playing about with some home hobby projects. Or people, like Thiago H
de Paula Figueiredo, who write applications not used by more than 3 people.

Now, to hammer the last nails on Tapestry's coffin, I've decide to write a
blog with the title: *The Rise and Fall of Tapestry*. The paragraphs I
would discuss include:

1. The begin
2. How Tapestry betrayed it's users by breaking existing code base at any
major release.
3. The arrogance of Howard Lewis *Ship*
4. When the 'H' in Howard became 'C' to form Coward.
5. When the Ship sank.
4. How Tapestry became a one-man project
5. Migration path to other web frameworks
6. How Tapestry would be remembered.
7. Why Howard finally embraced Wicket and started using it in his clients'
projects.
8. When Tapestry became Wicketstry or Tapwickstry.

I want to have 10 points to write about in my blog. Please feel free to
suggest some other points for me.

I have to mention that I will strictly moderate comments on my blog in
order to filter out venomous comments from Tapestry cult trolls like the
ones I've seen here the last few days.

Please contribute.

Cheers

Re: The Rise and Fall of Tapestry

Posted by Boris Horvat <ho...@gmail.com>.
Well I am sure his imaginary friend this he is cool

--
Sincerely
*Boris Horvat*

Re: The Rise and Fall of Tapestry

Posted by Jon Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Sowah <es...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

Posted by Taha Siddiqi <ta...@gmail.com>.
I came to Tapestry from Wicket after reading such a trolling email but I could never thank the guy.

If it were you Emmanuel, then thank you.

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
> 7. Why Howard finally embraced Wicket and started using it in his
clients' projects.

Drink a shot!

> 8. When Tapestry became Wicketstry

Drink a shot!

> or Tapwickstry.

... and another!

Re: The Rise and Fall of Tapestry

Posted by Muhammad Gelbana <m....@gmail.com>.
LOOOL @ Thiago :D

*---------------------*
*Muhammad Gelbana*
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mgelbana

Posted by Thai Tran <bu...@gmail.com>.
7 years of trolling and hating. Common dude, grow up and get a life

Posted by Matheus Eduardo Machado Moreira <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 :-)

   Atenciosamente,

Posted by Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 05:37:11 -0200, Peter Hvass <P....@albourne.com>
wrote:

> demon enclosure that is Tapestry with its patron lord of darkness Howard.

I also want a cool title like that! :D

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: The Rise and Fall of Tapestry

Posted by Peter Hvass <P....@albourne.com>.
You are my guiding light Emmanuel - I look forward to absorbing any and all
nuggets of wisdom you post on your blog. I am so glad that finally someone
with enough time on their hands has come to speak the truth about the evil
demon enclosure that is Tapestry with its patron lord of darkness Howard.

Yours eternally,
Peter

I'd just like to say I currently use Tapestry in some very large projects
without issue. I'm not sure why your wasting your time trolling this
mailing list.

--
George Christman
www.CarDaddy.com