Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Wara Songkran <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2003/08/09 18:28:25 UTC

Is it OK to use JDO now.

Hi.

In the OJB site it said

"We currently provide a plugin to the JDO Reference
Implementation ...  A full JDO implementation is
scheduled for OJB 2.0"

I wondered, what is the different between JDO
Reference Implementation ant JDO implementation.  Is
it ok if I use JDO Reference Implementation in my
application right now.  Do I need to change my code in
the future if OJB 2.0 is completed. Please enlighten
me.

Cheers.

Re: Is it OK to use JDO now.

Posted by Alen Ribic <al...@mweb.co.za>.
I came from a JUG (CTJUG) meeting where JDO was the topic of the day.
We had Robin Roos as a guest speaker. (author of Java Data Objects book
(isbn: 0-321-12380-8) http://ogilviepartners.com/)
He himself indicated that the JDO RI is meant to be merely a working
implementation of a current specification.
So how reliable it is *for production environment* is a very good questions.
I myself wouldn't rely on reference implementation for production. ;)

Anyway from what I gather from meeting we had today, future of JDO 2.0 spec.
looks very promising! (Aggregation, standardised relational mapping, etc.)

--Alen

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Hi:

Re: Is it OK to use JDO now.

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
The JDORI is not licensed, by Sun, for commercial use. Other than that
it works fine. It isn't tested as thoroughly as the PB and ODMG api's,
so there may be things hiding.

-Brian