Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gustavo Guerra <gm...@acm.org> on 2005/06/09 17:01:04 UTC

Python 2.4 Bindings

Can someone please build the Subversion 1.2 bindings for Python 2.4, instead
of 2.3 as it is on the download page?
I'd be greatly apreciated.

Thanks
Gustavo Guerra

Re: Python 2.4 Bindings

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2005, at 7:04 AM, Robin Pellatt wrote:
>
>> OK, I'll try this list instead of 'users', could anyone give me an
>> update on this, or a reason why there are only bindings for Python
>> 2.3 available?
>

> Because nobody's bothered to build them yet, that's the only reason.

I wish that were the case...

The standard Windows Python 2.4 distro is compiled with VS.NET. The
Subversion Win32 binaries us MSVC, because that's what Apache uses in
its Win32 binary distros, and our binaries have to be compatible with
standard Apache installations.

Therefore we can't ship Python 2.4 bindings, because VS.NET and MSVC use
different (i.e. incompatible) runtime libraries.

There's a chance that httpd-2.2/apr-2.0 distros will be compiled with
VS.NET (2005?), at which point we can move to that versin for our
distros and of course ship with bindings for Python-2.4+. I'm not sure
what happens to Perl bindings in this case though. Yuck.

-- Brane

Re: Python 2.4 Bindings

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2005, at 7:04 AM, Robin Pellatt wrote:
>
>> OK, I'll try this list instead of 'users', could anyone give me an
>> update on this, or a reason why there are only bindings for Python
>> 2.3 available?
>

> Because nobody's bothered to build them yet, that's the only reason.
>
> This project doesn't release binaries, only source.  The only reason
> you see *any* windows binaries posted is because 1 or 2 volunteers
> bother to go through a somewhat harrowing Windows build process and
> share their results.  In this case, Branko is the only one who
> creates svn-python packages for Windows at all, and he happens to be
> using python 2.3.  You, or anyone else, is perfectly welcome to build
> them for 2.4 and contribute to the downloads area.

I heard that there were differing C runtime issues. But, I could have misunderstood.

Max.

Re: Python 2.4 Bindings

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: Python 2.4 Bindings

Posted by Robin Pellatt <pe...@mirocs.com>.

Robin Pellatt wrote:
> Seconded.  Pleeeeeeeeeeeze!!!
>
> Could someone at least give us a status on this, is somebody looking at it?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Robin.
>
> p.s. s/instead of/as well as/
>
> Gustavo Guerra wrote:
>
>> Can someone please build the Subversion 1.2 bindings for Python 2.4,
>> instead of 2.3 as it is on the download page?
>> I'd be greatly apreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Gustavo Guerra

mirocs OHG