Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2001/09/17 02:04:19 UTC

New Cornerstone app - "Bay" - a wrapper for tomcat4 (AKA Catalina)

It's commited.

To get it working you'll need to download a nightly binary build of
Tomcat 4 (Catalina).

1) Unzip contents of that download to apps/bay/catalina (making a new
dir as you do).
2) Cornerstone "build bay all"
3) From the unzipped tomcat, copy servlet.jar (in common/lib) and
jasper-runtime.jar (lib) to phoenix/lib
4) Place the sar file (4Mb!) in apps dir
5) Run as usual

That should launch Catalina on port 8080 and it should serve the default
website.  Servlets work, JSP does not (tools.jar not in classpath).  We
could do what the excellent OrionServer does and have tools.jar copied
to a lib dir as part of installation, but that sucks.  Can we think of a
correct way for blocks to determine JAVA_HOME?

The Bay service has no methods as yet, but as previously mentioned, it
should be easy to have "publishWebsite(x,y,z)".  The are two block
implementations of the service.  One that does a serving presence (but
serves nothing as yet) and another that extends that and serves the
tomcat examples etc (only useful to prove it works).

The copying of the two jars is to overcome a classloading problem.  Some
core classloading comps in Catalina assume that they have been loaded
from the primordial classloader. This is normally the case for the way
it is lanched from the command prompt, but not in our case.  It would be
nice to get it fixed.  Also non-ideal is the the lack of ability to
specify our own connection and thread management.  Peter thinks this is
not so necessary.

Lastly the way it has been coded (against Peters advice ;-) is to use
it's own classloader to give Catalina its familiar environment.  I've
used reflection in the setup stage to do the necessary method calls.

Regards,

- Paul H