Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Lynnette Boucher <ly...@ymail.com> on 2012/06/11 13:11:11 UTC

Your website contains 3 (found thus far) spelling errors

Good morning all,

I have just visited your website and within my first minute of being there, had found 2 spelling errors. I clicked on your contact us link, and then clicked on your press link, and immediately noticed another (the 3rd) spelling error.

I am writing to you, to, to bring these errors to your attention. I believe that a published site, shows representation of professionalism. Words spelled correctly represents professionalism. And will give your readers confidence in selecting your product. I hope that you do not mind my pointing out of these errors.

Here are the three spelling errors found thus far:
1) link: http://www.openoffice.org/why/
spelling error of word "software" (Free Sofware) on left table of links, located under sub-title "WHY"
spelling error of word "license" (licence) in last paragraph, under bullet titled "and, it's free"

2) link: http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/press.html
spelling error of word "closely" (closele) in only paragraph on page, under title "Press Inquiries".

Hope this helps you.

Lynnette

Re: Your website contains 3 (found thus far) spelling errors

Posted by Andrew Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 11.06.2012 07:11, Lynnette Boucher wrote:
> Good morning all,
>
> I have just visited your website and within my first minute of being
> there, had found 2 spelling errors.

<snip>

> Hope this helps you.

Absolutely it helps :-)

Re: Your website contains 3 (found thus far) spelling errors

Posted by Andrew Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 11.06.2012 14:57, Larry Gusaas wrote:
> On 2012-06-11 6:44 AM Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> Best of all, Apache OpenOffice can be downloaded and used entirely
>> free
>> of any license fees.
> Please change back to the correct English spelling, licence, used in
> most of the English speaking world. Spelling is "license" is an
> American mutation.
>
> To call the spelling " licence" incorrect is an insult to most of the
> English speaking world.

Near as I can figure, most languages are a mutation of multiple
languages and a particular spelling is typically not insulting. I would,
however, expect the site to choose a particular localization and stick
to it. If people are horribly offended by a person that uses the wrong
localization, then you should probably specify that only people that
know that localization be allowed to contribute on the item in question.

Re: Your website contains 3 (found thus far) spelling errors

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2012-06-11 6:44 AM Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>
>> Best of all, Apache OpenOffice can be downloaded and used entirely free
>> of any license fees.
>
> Please change back to the correct English spelling, licence, used in most of
> the English speaking world. Spelling is "license" is an American mutation.
>
> To call the spelling " licence" incorrect is an insult to most of the
> English speaking world.

And evidently on high authority as well:

https://twitter.com/Queen_UK/status/207376116447584256

;-)

-Rob

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>wrote:

> To call the spelling " licence" incorrect is an insult to most of the
> English speaking world.

That's why IBM used to offer OS/2 Warp in separate English and American
English versions, and even separate fixpaks.

To avoid global thermonuclear war at the first sight of the word "color"
instead of "colour"...
;-)

FC

Re: Your website contains 3 (found thus far) spelling errors

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<ar...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hello Lynnette,
>
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 05:36:56AM -0700, Lynnette Boucher wrote:
> >    Hello Ariel, I've just looked, and only the first spelling error
> >    has been corrected. The latter two remain unchanged...
>
> Please try refreshing your browser. Usually this is done by pressing F5,
> then the page will be reloaded:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/press.html
> Don also works closely with the ASF Press Team.

Lynette, thanks for reminding me about this... I also corrected the
mis-spelling of i'nquieries' to inquiries in the sentence. I couldn't agree
with you more about how this reflects on professionalism and trust.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hello Lynnette,

Posted by Lynnette Boucher <ly...@ymail.com>.
Hello Ariel, I've just looked, and only the first spelling error has been corrected. The latter two remain unchanged...

________________________________
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 04:11:11AM -0700, Lynnette Boucher wrote:
> Good morning all,
>
> I have just visited your website and within my first minute of being
> there, had found 2 spelling errors. I clicked on your contact us link,
> and then clicked on your press link, and immediately noticed another
> (the 3rd) spelling error.
>

> I am writing to you, to, to bring these errors to your attention.
> I believe that a published site, shows representation of
> professionalism. Words spelled correctly represents professionalism.
> And will give your readers confidence in selecting your product.
> I hope that you do not mind my pointing out of these errors.
>

> Here are the three spelling errors found thus far: 1) link:
> http://www.openoffice.org/why/ spelling error of word "software" (Free
> Sofware) on left table of links, located under sub-title "WHY"
> spelling error of word "license" (licence) in last paragraph, under
> bullet titled "and, it's free"
>
> 2) link: http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/press.html spelling
> error of word "closely" (closele) in only paragraph on page, under
> title "Press Inquiries".
>
> Hope this helps you.
>
> Lynnette

Thanks for reporting the spelling errors. They should be fixed by now.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Your website contains 3 (found thus far) spelling errors

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hello Lynnette,