Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Michael Moss <mi...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/19 17:00:18 UTC

Accumulo 1.6 vs 1.7

Hello,

Curious to get the community's thoughts on why folks would stay on or start
with 1.6 vs 1.7. The 1.7 release notes say "Approximately two-thirds were
bugs and one-third were improvements." were a large percentage of these bug
fixes ported to the 1.6.x line as well? Is 1.7 considered 'bleeding edge'
because it has so many new features and therefore the 'riskier' option? How
should we think about this?

Thanks!

-Mike

Re: Accumulo 1.6 vs 1.7

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

Bug-fixes should be landing in both branches if applicable and both
branches receive no new features (per semantic versioning). If you
aren't tied to one or the other, choose 1.7 as it's the way of the
future. While 1.6 is probably "safer" due to being out and in use longer
than 1.7, that doesn't imply that 1.7 is unsafe.

We have also not discussed EOL'ing 1.6 so that is not an immediate
concern but I'd guess that it would happen within the next year or two.