Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Roberto Cortez <ra...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2018/11/19 15:46:34 UTC

TomEE 8 - Next steps

Hi folks,

Following up our initial push to have a Milestone Release of TomEE 8, I think we need to figure out the remaining steps to a final version:

- Update MP specs to the latests and support at least MP 2.0 spec.
- Provide MP support for other TomEE flavours: Plus, Plume, etc.
- Implement Java EE Security API.

These are for me the main blockers.

I know there is a Java 9+ effort to provide TomEE with the latest Java support. I think that is still on the early stages and nobody can say for certain how long is that going to take, so I wouldn’t like to delay the final TomEE 8 release because of it.

Now, that doesn’t mean if need to wait a year or so for it. I know that historically TomEE release are like big bang and it is in our hand to change it and make it better. My point is that we can release a TomEE 9 version with Java 11 support in a few months.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Roberto

Re: TomEE 8 - Next steps

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Probably worth a read:

http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/VOTE-next-tomee-version-targetting-EE-7-td4674650.html
http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/Java-EE-version-Alignment-Troubles-td4674796.html

And related if you still feel motivated by reading after these pages ;)

Re: TomEE 8 - Next steps

Posted by Roberto Cortez <ra...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: TomEE 8 - Next steps

Re: TomEE 8 - Next steps

Posted by Roberto Cortez <ra...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Very well, sorry for misleading then.

At some point, I’ve got the impression it was going to be 1.0 and reset. I should have checked that.

Re: TomEE 8 - Next steps

Posted by Richard Monson-Haefel <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: TomEE 8 - Next steps

Posted by Roberto Cortez <ra...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.