Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com> on 2004/08/31 20:44:28 UTC

[VOTE] Establish development model based on Apache DB guidelines

Re: [VOTE] Establish development model based on Apache DB guidelines

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Establish development model based on Apache DB guidelines

Posted by Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@Sourcery.Org>.

Re: [VOTE] Establish development model based on Apache DB guidelines

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>>
>> Ken, obviously as you know I'm new to Apache voting and so I'm not
>> really understanding your post.
>>
>> The first question is are you starting a new vote or trying to add an
>> item to the vote I started?
>
> neither, actually.  :-)  as podling mentor, i'm providing advice based
> on my experience.  the db project has a documented and designed disparity
> between the pmc and the committer list.  during incubation, podlings
> emulate pmc operation and become familiar with it via a 'ppmc' list.
> i am suggesting that the derby podling adopt a policy that all committers
> are automatically on the ppmc.
>
> i bring this up because i think the db project pages could be viewed as
> recommending that the members of the ppmc be a subset of the committer
> list.
>
>> The second is, are you voting on your issue only, or voting for the
>> issue I started the vote on? The URL after your vote is confusing me as
>> I would guess the appropriate URL for "my" vote would be
>> http://db.apache.org/guidelines.html.
>
> i am not voting; i am a mentor only, and a committer only by courtesy during
> incubation.  if/when derby graduates, i expect i will no longer be a committer,
> which is appropriate since i don't know java and certainly not a db in java.
> the podling needs to be self-defining; it's part of my function to help that
> happen.  i *don't* think it's part of my job to try to steer it by voting.
>
> the point i raise may not be considered directly relevant to the issue being
> voted, but i mention it because it's related.  i don't think emulating *all*
> of the db project procedures is necessarily appropriate during incubation,
> since subsetting for the ppmc could be a barrier to community building.

Agreed.  For the record, the committee-info file lists 11 members of the
DB-PMC.  The bylaw page is outdated.  I've started a thread on pmc@db to
correct that.

Re: Hello

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: Hello

Posted by Dibyendu Majumdar <di...@mazumdar.demon.co.uk>.

Jean wrote:
> Hi, Dibyendu,
>
> I didn't spot any followups to your question. One starting point is an
> early architecture thread here (that will hopefully get consolidated
> soon into a white paper for the site to make it easier to find):

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=derby-dev@db.apache.org&msgNo=18

Thanks for responding to my query. I had read above overview document
already. I have started with services/cache package. Is my understanding
correct that this implements the Buffer Cache?

Regards

Dibyendu

Re: Hello

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Hello

Posted by Dibyendu Majumdar <di...@mazumdar.demon.co.uk>.
Hello,

My name is Dibyendu Majumdar. I am keen on working on the Store and Services
layer in Derby. I would grateful for any tips on where to start the process
of understanding the code/design.

Thanks and Regards

Dibyendu

Re: [VOTE] Establish development model based on Apache DB guidelines

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Establish development model based on Apache DB guidelines

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: [VOTE] Establish development model based on Apache DB guidelines

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Establish development model based on Apache DB guidelines

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

[RESULT] [VOTE] Establish development model based on Apache DB guidelines

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Establish development model based on Apache DB guidelines

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.
+1

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@Sourcery.Org>.

Re: [VOTE] Establish development model based on Apache DB guidelines

Posted by Samuel Andrew McIntyre <fu...@nonintuitive.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Establish development model based on Apache DB guidelines

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.