Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Peter Velikin <pe...@velobit.com> on 2012/01/19 00:32:33 UTC

How to accelerate your Solr-Lucene appication by 4x

Hello Solr users,

Did you know that you can boost the performance of your Solr application
using your existing servers? All you need is commodity SSD and plug-and-play
software like VeloBit.

At ZoomInfo, a leading business information provider, VeloBit increased the
performance of the Solr-Lucene-powered application by 4x.

I would love to tell you more about VeloBit and find out if we can deliver
same business benefits at your company. Click here
<http://www.velobit.com/15-minute-brief>  for a 15-minute briefing
<http://www.velobit.com/15-minute-brief>  on the VeloBit technology.

Here is more information on how VeloBit helped ZoomInfo:

*	Increased Solr-Lucene performance by 4x using existing servers and
commodity SSD
*	Installed VeloBit plug-and-play SSD caching software in 5-minutes
transparent to running applications and storage infrastructure
*	Reduced by 75% the hardware and monthly operating costs required to
support service level agreements

Technical Details:

*	Environment: Solr‐Lucene indexed directory search service fronted
by J2EE web application technology
*	Index size: 600 GB
*	Number of items indexed: 50 million
*	Primary storage: 6 x SAS HDD
*	SSD Cache: VeloBit software + OCZ Vertex 3

Click here <http://www.velobit.com/use-cases/enterprise-search/>  to read
more about the ZoomInfo Solr-Lucene case study
<http://www.velobit.com/use-cases/enterprise-search/> .

You can also sign up
<http://www.velobit.com/early-access-program-accelerate-application>  for
our Early Access Program
<http://www.velobit.com/early-access-program-accelerate-application>  and
try VeloBit HyperCache for free.

Also, feel free to write to me directly at peter@velobit.com.

Best regards,

Peter Velikin

VP Online Marketing, VeloBit, Inc.

peter@velobit.com

tel. 978-263-4800

mob. 617-306-7165

VeloBit provides plug & play SSD caching software that dramatically
accelerates applications at a remarkably low cost. The software installs
seamlessly in less than 10 minutes and automatically tunes for fastest
application speed. Visit  <http://www.velobit.com> www.velobit.com for
details.

Re: How to accelerate your Solr-Lucene appication by 4x

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.
> 2. they always *follow* on-topic discussion

Not in the example given.

> 3. the line is blurry, e.g. nobody will object to including one's employer in a tagline.

Product placement is not blurry.  The incentive is to then answer
someone else's user email, in order to post yet another spam'd product
placement ad, which is exactly what is happening.

Comparatively Peter has only posted 1 time, whereas Otis' spam is
recurring, there is large difference.

The Lucene user mailing list is being used as a free advertising forum
for a specific product (eg, it's not a company, employer, or event).
If you are fine with that, then your statements are contradictory.

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Jason,

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Steven,

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Peter,

> Has anyone else tried adding SSDs as a cache to boost the performance of Solr clusters? Can you share your results?

What do you mean by using SSD *as a cache*?

A few years ago, Toke Eskildsen and his colleagues compared Lucene performance with traditional HDDs and SSDs and of course found that things fly with SSDs.  But they simply put the index on either HDD or SSD, so I'm not sure what you mean by using SSDs "as a cache".  I can see putting hot shards on SSDs and putting less frequently searches shards on regular HDDs, but I'm not sure if that is what you mean. Could you please clarify?

Thanks,
Otis

----
Performance Monitoring SaaS for Solr - http://sematext.com/spm/solr-performance-monitoring/index.html

Re: How to accelerate your Solr-Lucene appication by 4x

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Peter,

My guess is that if you had said something along the lines of "We have
developed some SSD support software that makes SOLR work better.  I would
like to open a conversation here (link to external discussion)" that would
have been reasonably well received.  One of the things that makes SPAM and
form letters so annoying is that you are devaluing the recipient by clearly
not taking them into account.  Being one line in a mail merge table is not
considered by most to be a great goal in life.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
That's valuable info there. :)
So then I wonder which of the two, RAM or SSD, has a more favorable price/size trajectory...

Otis
----
Performance Monitoring SaaS for Solr - http://sematext.com/spm/solr-performance-monitoring/index.html

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
It sounds bad with a 600GB index, but the techniques in the UMass achieve a
substantial compression of the in-memory size (remember that only part of
the index needs to be memory resident).

If you assume that you get 2x compression from compression and elision then
you only need 3-5 fat-memory machines to handle this load.  These machines
will be moderately expensive, but memory is pretty cheap lately.

This configuration has a substantial benefit when the query rate is high
because the cost of memory is much smaller than the cost of sheet metal,
power supplies and CPU's.  When the query rate is low, then spinning rust
has an advantage because it is cheap per bit.

Posted by Peter Velikin <pe...@velobit.com>.
Hi Erick,

This is correct. An additional benefit to configuring the SSD as cache vs
primary storage is that you don't have to change anything to your existing
indexes (the cache will just give a performance boost).

In addition to configuring the system to utilize SSDs as the location where
pages go when swapped out of RAM, VeloBit does a few more performance
optimization tricks, which I will explain below.

(I am wary of the sensitivity to commercial messages: the following will
explain some of the differentiators of VeloBit. So, if you have an aversion
to vendors promoting themselves, please do not read further)

VeloBit

-          configures SSDs to appear as cache expansion

-          compresses data at the block level so you can hold much more data
in cache (cache will appear much bigger than the physical size of SSD and
RAM; you'll get higher performance since you'll less frequently have to read
data from slow HDD)

-          makes decisions on what data to go in cache based on the
popularity of the contents of each block (increases cache hit rates and
system performance)

-          optimizes how data is placed and managed on the SSD which takes
care of write, erase, and garbage collection limitations inherent to flash
based SSDs (increases the performance of SSDs and extends the life of the
SSD; this enables you to use a commodity SSD from Best Buy for enterprise
workloads instead of having to buy really expensive high-end SSDs)

-          automates the whole process making everything plug & play (no
need to deal with storage and server architecture issues)

(end of commercial)

Best regards,

Peter

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Peter:

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu> wrote:
> I want to retract my objection to commercial messages.  I think Ted's position is more reasonable: on-topic commercial messages that are responsive to (and maybe even anticipatory of) users' needs will likely be welcomed by many subscribed here.
>
> Producing a policy statement that perfectly captures this idea seems hard, though.  I jumped the gun, maybe in part because the flavor of Peter's message was persuasive rather than factual, and that seemed to me to cross a line, albeit an unwritten one.
[...]

I think that most people here have expressed reasonable viewpoints. One
possibility might be to:
(a) Have commercial postings consist of a brief description, along
     with a link to a more detailed web page, if needed.
(b) Have such posts explicitly include a "[Commercial]" or similar
     tag in the subject line, so that people who do not want to see
     such posts can easily filter them out.

Regards,
Gora

RE: How to accelerate your Solr-Lucene appication by 4x

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Darren Govoni <da...@ontrenet.com>.
Agree. There's probably some unwritten etiquette there.

Posted by Patrick Plaatje <pp...@gmail.com>.

--
Patrick Plaatje
Senior Consultant

Re: How to accelerate your Solr-Lucene appication by 4x

Posted by Darren Govoni <da...@ontrenet.com>.

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Hi Darren,

Posted by Darren Govoni <da...@ontrenet.com>.