Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/27 19:43:09 UTC

Tuscany Sample Requirements, Re: Next 2.x release

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Florian Moga <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my opinion, the getting-started samples would be enough for a release at
> the moment (they're in pretty good shape, few modifications will be needed).
> I'm still lost in our samples discussion so I've started a wiki page [1] to
> keep track of the requirements for a sample in order to make it to trunk.
> Please update it if I missed something so that we have a complete checklist
> for anyone wanting to work on the samples.
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Tuscany+Samples+Requirements

First, we should really have much more explicit subjects when
discussing important items, particularly because lots of us tend to
start ignoring some huge threads with subjective subjects.

As for the requirements to have samples in trunk, we always had the
ability to demonstrate different ways to do a particular thing (e.g
running in an embedded runtime, OSGi environment, running in different
types of WebApp containers, etc) and the requirement to run with the
shell might implicate some of these samples can't not be in trunk ?

Also, on the wiki, could you please clarify what does the requirements
mean, give an example of what is expected, etc

Thanks

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: Tuscany Sample Requirements, Re: Next 2.x release

Posted by Florian Moga <mo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luciano

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> First, we should really have much more explicit subjects when
> discussing important items, particularly because lots of us tend to
> start ignoring some huge threads with subjective subjects.
>
> As for the requirements to have samples in trunk, we always had the
> ability to demonstrate different ways to do a particular thing (e.g
> running in an embedded runtime, OSGi environment, running in different
> types of WebApp containers, etc) and the requirement to run with the
> shell might implicate some of these samples can't not be in trunk ?

No, there's been a discussion on having a standard way of running the
samples and the shell received good feedback being build tool agnostic. That
doesn't exclude samples that aren't supported by the shell at the moment
(e.g. webapps) from trunk. They might require a few more explanations in the
README file.

> Also, on the wiki, could you please clarify what does the requirements
> mean, give an example of what is expected, etc

I will detail the checkpoints further on the wiki. I looked at the
helloworld-contribution/ for an example on how we'd like the samples to look
like.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Florian Moga <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In my opinion, the getting-started samples would be enough for a release at
>> the moment (they're in pretty good shape, few modifications will be needed).
>> I'm still lost in our samples discussion so I've started a wiki page [1] to
>> keep track of the requirements for a sample in order to make it to trunk.
>> Please update it if I missed something so that we have a complete checklist
>> for anyone wanting to work on the samples.
>> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Tuscany+Samples+Requirements
>>

> First, we should really have much more explicit subjects when
> discussing important items, particularly because lots of us tend to
> start ignoring some huge threads with subjective subjects.
>
> As for the requirements to have samples in trunk, we always had the
> ability to demonstrate different ways to do a particular thing (e.g
> running in an embedded runtime, OSGi environment, running in different
> types of WebApp containers, etc) and the requirement to run with the
> shell might implicate some of these samples can't not be in trunk ?
>
> Also, on the wiki, could you please clarify what does the requirements
> mean, give an example of what is expected, etc
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Luciano Resende

If you really did ignore the long sample discussion then it might be
good to go have a look now. I think we have reached a broad agreement
and common understanding of what we'd like to do and most of the
active devs participated. There is still work to do but thats more at
the dotting the i's and crossing the t's level.

   ...ant