Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Oliver Schalch <ol...@wyona.com> on 2006/05/08 17:07:08 UTC

docu newsletter module

Hiho,

Gregor has made a nice docu already in forrest and also did a patch:
http://svn.wyona.com/repos/wyona/employees/greg/facharbeit/doku/lenya-docu/lenya-docu-376625.diff
Can someone commit that on the offical lenya docu?

Or is it because the module is only wyona public and not on the apache svn?

or I just write a short readme to the newsletter module in wyona/public
http://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/lenya/james-nl  (no doc/readme there)

Gruess
Oliver

--
Oliver Schalch				 oliver.schalch@wyona.com
Wyona Inc.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya

Re: docu newsletter module

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
> Agreed.  What are you ideas for a third-party module thingy?  I was
> thinking the same thing about bloat and figured that the
> modules-optional directory might be a place for extras.  I guess it
> would be nice to select individual modules instead of the entire
> directory though.  I figured the third party part could work the same
> way bxe and kupu work within svn.  (sorry it should have been "link to
> it like we do with kupu and bxe within svn" above)

there is another problem that is not solved by putting things into
different locations inside svn: once something is in the lenya svn,
there is a maintenance burden. you could look at certain cocoon blocks
where the person that originally cared about them has moved on, and now
you have all this code that no one cares about anymore.

at the same time, code almost never gets deleted because of community
friction (and because people don't want to insinuate that the original
contribution was somehow 'bad'). over time, you end up with a repository
that looks like an elephant's graveyard: littered with carcasses.

svn-lenya client [was: Re: docu newsletter module]

Posted by Renaud Richardet <re...@wyona.com>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> Doug Chestnut wrote:
>

>> Michael Wechner wrote:

>>> you mean  https://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/lenya/tools/svn ?
>>

>> Yes, I was thinking about trying javasvn to make lenya use subversion
>> for it's repo.
>

> well, I think even better would be if Lenya itself would wrap SVN, I
> mean, that Lenya would act as SVN repo.

Agreed.

In the meantime, Wyona has finished the implementation of the svn-lenya
client. It basically allows you to work with svn to upddate your content
repository. You can download it from:
http://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/lenya/tools/svn/
See the README.txt for installation, configuration, usage and
limitations. It currently relies on Java.Io and DOM (so it completely
bypasses the Lenya API for now).

If you are interested, test it on a TEST repository and report any
questions to the list.

HTH,
Renaud

--
Renaud Richardet
COO America

svn-lenya client [was: Re: docu newsletter module]

Posted by Renaud Richardet <re...@wyona.com>.

Re: docu newsletter module

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.

Michael Wechner wrote:
> Doug Chestnut wrote:
>>[...]
>> I will give it a try.  We have been playing around with ultramonkey
>> and mod_proxy_balance.
>

> mod_proxy_balance should also be part of the above mentioned package,
> but for reasons
> of platform indepence and features like failover we implemented a Java
> version.
>
> What was your experience re ultramonkey and mod_proxy_balance?
We are using a "High Capacity High Availability and Load Balancing"
ultramonkey setup
(http://www.ultramonkey.org/3/topologies/hc-ha-lb-overview.html).  Our
"real servers" are running a slimmed down apache2.2.x.  We are using
them as our http accelerator using mod_proxy, mod_proxy_balance,
mod_cache.  We are balancing our tomcat instances (and other service
clusters) with mod_proxy_balance.

We are still testing and tweaking our config, but it appears to be a
very robust/scalable solution for us.  It is cool giving the demo and
being able to unplug half of our servers and still be able to access our
services.  We are next going to see if we can split our cluster(s)
between two buildings for the sake of disaster recovery.  We could have
a fire/flood and our web will still be up.

--Doug

Re: docu newsletter module

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Doug Chestnut wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>> Doug Chestnut wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, thanks for making your modules available, very useful!  I am
>>> very interested in the javasvn tool.
>>

>> you mean  https://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/lenya/tools/svn ?
>
> Yes, I was thinking about trying javasvn to make lenya use subversion
> for it's repo.

well, I think even better would be if Lenya itself would wrap SVN, I
mean, that Lenya would act as SVN repo.

> JCR is great, but it doesn't seem to have a good approach to clustering.

I think there are attempts to implement clustering, but I am not sure
how concrete they are

>>>   If I understand it, this would be a great way to cluster!
>>

>> btw, we have done some more work on
>> https://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/tomcat-cluster and it works
>> now pretty well, except that flow which is being used within Lenya
>> isn't clusterable. But we keep working on it ;-)
> I will give it a try.  We have been playing around with ultramonkey
> and mod_proxy_balance.

mod_proxy_balance should also be part of the above mentioned package,
but for reasons
of platform indepence and features like failover we implemented a Java
version.

What was your experience re ultramonkey and mod_proxy_balance?

Thanks

Michi

--
Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: docu newsletter module

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.

Michael Wechner wrote:
> Doug Chestnut wrote:
>
>> Anyway, thanks for making your modules available, very useful!  I am
>> very interested in the javasvn tool.
>

> you mean  https://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/lenya/tools/svn ?

Yes, I was thinking about trying javasvn to make lenya use subversion
for it's repo.  JCR is great, but it doesn't seem to have a good
approach to clustering.

>>   If I understand it, this would be a great way to cluster!
>

> btw, we have done some more work on
> https://svn.wyona.com/repos/public/tomcat-cluster and it works
> now pretty well, except that flow which is being used within Lenya isn't
> clusterable. But we keep working on it ;-)
I will give it a try.  We have been playing around with ultramonkey and
mod_proxy_balance.

Thanks again,
--Doug

Re: docu newsletter module

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Doug Chestnut wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>> Doug Chestnut wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Oliver!
>>> Very cool.  Any possibility of putting this into the trunk? (like to
>>> it like we do with kupu and bxe).  Perhaps into modules-optional.
>>

>> I understand that it might be useful, but I think this should rather
>> force us
>> to develop a third-party module thingy, because if we stick
>> everything into Lenya
>> which might be useful for some us, then we end up with a huge
>> code-base, just as Cocoon itself re blocks ...
>
> Agreed.  What are you ideas for a third-party module thingy?

- I think we should create a space on the website where people can
"register" their modules (and publications)
- I think we need something like Gump for dependency management
- Or even mode advanced would be some fancy package management framework

>   I was thinking the same thing about bloat and figured that the
> modules-optional directory might be a place for extras.

well, the modules-optional was just a workaround that Lenya compiles ;-)
>   I guess it would be nice to select individual modules instead of the
> entire directory though.

I once fixed a bug that this actually should work, but I think there is
still some bug

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: docu newsletter module

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.

Michael Wechner wrote:
> Doug Chestnut wrote:
>
>> Thanks Oliver!
>> Very cool.  Any possibility of putting this into the trunk? (like to
>> it like we do with kupu and bxe).  Perhaps into modules-optional.
>

> I understand that it might be useful, but I think this should rather
> force us
> to develop a third-party module thingy, because if we stick everything
> into Lenya
> which might be useful for some us, then we end up with a huge code-base,
> just as Cocoon itself re blocks ...

Agreed.  What are you ideas for a third-party module thingy?  I was
thinking the same thing about bloat and figured that the
modules-optional directory might be a place for extras.  I guess it
would be nice to select individual modules instead of the entire
directory though.  I figured the third party part could work the same
way bxe and kupu work within svn.  (sorry it should have been "link to
it like we do with kupu and bxe within svn" above)

Anyway, thanks for making your modules available, very useful!  I am
very interested in the javasvn tool.  If I understand it, this would be
a great way to cluster!

Re: docu newsletter module

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Doug Chestnut wrote:

> Thanks Oliver!
> Very cool.  Any possibility of putting this into the trunk? (like to
> it like we do with kupu and bxe).  Perhaps into modules-optional.

I understand that it might be useful, but I think this should rather
force us
to develop a third-party module thingy, because if we stick everything
into Lenya
which might be useful for some us, then we end up with a huge code-base,
just as Cocoon itself re blocks ...

I think we should learn from what I think is a pitfall of Cocoon-2.1.X
and it
seems to me that Cocoon itself is trying to get out of this situation
and has
a hard time to do so ...

Michi

> WDOT?
>
> Oliver Schalch wrote:

>>> Is this the newsletter module located here:
>>> http://svn.wyona.org/repos/public/lenya/modules/newsletter/
>>>
>>> hints on how to get the rmiprovider started?
>>

>> Short Howto:
>>
>> * checkout Newsleter module
>> * run "ant dist"
>> * add the module to local.build.properties
>> * add the module to your publication.xconf
>> * start james with "ant run-james" in the directory of the newsletter
>>    * make sure you have no local mailer running like exim/sendmail etc.
>> * start lenya, look in the admin area if you have the newsletter menü
>>
>> Greetings
>> Oliver

>>> Great idea!
>>>
>>> thanks,