Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Iain <ia...@hotmail.com> on 2016/02/25 11:12:23 UTC

Dictionaries

Hi guys,

It seems that I have somehow lost the link from OpenOffice v 4.1.1 under Windows Ver 8, to the English Database/Thesaurus.
All words are unrecognised.
Have tried ineptly to look at the Options/Writing Aids to no advance.

It was working yesterday but overnight the Computer was ‘Sleeping’ , as it does every night.

Any idea what might have gone wrong and more importantly how to put it right again

Many thanks

Iain

Re: Dictionaries

Posted by Iain <ia...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks Dave for your response.

Yes, I did Restart Windows.
The problem was not cured.

Best wishes

Iain

> It seems that I have somehow lost the link from OpenOffice v 4.1.1 under
> Windows Ver 8, to the English Database/Thesaurus.
> All words are unrecognised.
> Have tried ineptly to look at the Options/Writing Aids to no advance.
>
> It was working yesterday but overnight the Computer was ‘Sleeping’ , as it
> does every night.
>
> Any idea what might have gone wrong and more importantly how to put it
> right again
>
> Many thanks
>
> Iain

You say "‘Sleeping’, as it does every night", which suggests that the
first thing to try is to restart Windows.

If that does not resolve the issue write back to this mailing list
users@openoffice.apache.org for alternative options.

Dave

Re: Dictionaries

Posted by Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net>.

Re: Dictionaries

Posted by Iain <ia...@hotmail.com>.
And so it did once again.

Many thanks Rory,

Iain

PS: If using this Email to help some other poor innocent, after %appdata%\
there should be a Roaming\ - but maybe that is merely a sign of the setup on
my computer

> It seems that I have somehow lost the link from OpenOffice v 4.1.1 under
> Windows Ver 8, to the English Database/Thesaurus.
> All words are unrecognised.
> Have tried ineptly to look at the Options/Writing Aids to no advance.
>
> It was working yesterday but overnight the Computer was ‘Sleeping’ , as it
> does every night.
>
> Any idea what might have gone wrong and more importantly how to put it
> right again
>
> Many thanks
>
> Iain

The usual cure for spellcheck problems is to delete or rename your
OpenOffice user profile. If you are using Windows do this by:

Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste
%appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter.
Delete or Rename the "user" folder. Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Dictionaries