Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Max Hugen <ma...@hugen.com.au> on 2001/04/13 02:58:22 UTC

Workers Problem Resolution

We've been having some very frustrating times with an error which several
others have reported in this mailing list:
     "No such file or directory: Error while opening the workers"

During our investigation of the problem, we checked the httpd log "error"
and the mod_jk log "mod_jk.log" each time we restarted Tomcat and Apache. We
have 2 IP addresses, and a number of virtual hosts.

We found that if we commented out all the workers except the 'default' one
on port 8007, it resumed working. As soon as the other workers were
reinstated, it failed again.

We tried changing ports on workers which were failing. It would appear to
work once, then resumed failure on second and subsequent restarts.

What finally appeared to work was to change the host from name-based (eg
www.myDomain.com) to the IP address (eg 203.123.456.789).

Although so far this is working, we have no explanation of why. We also
don't know how it was, that our workers.properties file worked for weeks
without a problem, and then inexplicably failed. Its left us apprehensive,
and if anyone can shed some further light on this, it would be most
appreciated.

Max Hugen
maxhugen@hugen.com.au

Hugen Enterprises Pty Ltd
207 Flood St, Leichhardt NSW 2040, Australia
Tel: 02 9560 3061
www.hugen.com.au