Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Durham David Cntr 805CSS/SCBE <Da...@scott.af.mil> on 2003/01/10 18:00:54 UTC

manager app permissions issue

Hello,

I'm trying to use the manager app but recieve the following error:

java.lang.SecurityException: Servlet of class org.apache.catalina.servlets.ManagerServlet is privileged and cannot be loaded by this web application

Did some looking around and the only thing I can come up with is changing the catalina.policy file.  So I added:

grant codeBase "file:${catalina.home}/webapps/manager/-" {
	permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

to catalina.policy, but that did not fix it.

Has anyone seen this before and no what the problem is?

Thanks,

David Durham

Re: Windows Service

Posted by David Boyer <da...@bvu.edu>.
I believe there is a tomcat.exe in the /bin folder of the Tomcat 4
distribution for the purpose you mention.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hello Jeffrey,

See:
http://www.mattkelli.com/tech/tomcat/ntservice.htm

Jake

JW> Sorry about this question that has apparently been asked and answered
JW> innumerable times, but:

JW> I'd like to run Tomcat as a Windows 2000 service.  Searching, I see
JW> there is a utility "jk_nt_service.exe" that is available, but I can't
JW> seem to locate the version that is appropriate for Tomcat 4.0.x.

JW> Could somebody please do me the favor of pointing me to where this
JW> utility is located!

JW> - Thanks

JW> --

Best regards,

Re: Windows Service

Posted by Jeffrey Winter <je...@attbi.com>.
> There is an option in the Tomcat installer to install Tomcat as a service
on
> Windows.
>
> Jim

Ah yes, thanks. I see now that the lastest 4.1 has it as part of the
install.  I'm
just going to upgrade my installation.

Sorry!

RE: Windows Service

Posted by Jim Urban <ju...@parkcitysolutions.com>.

Windows Service

Re: manager app permissions issue

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.
Which Tomcat version are you using (works for me with 4.1/5.0)? From the
error you have provided, seems you are trying to get access to class
ManagerServlet from one of your class. ManagerServlet class is package
protected by Tomcat when running with the security manager (your case).
If you want to use it (and open a possible SECURITY hole), add this to
your catalina.policy:

  permission java.lang.RuntimePermission
"accessClassInPackage.org.apache.catalina.servlets.";

At your own risk :-)

-- Jeanfrancois