Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Kristofor Horst <kr...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/10 18:17:25 UTC

Are generated Ids secure + permanent?

Hello,

When a queue is generated via the UI/web API and written to the config.json
file, is the ID created for it securely generated and permanent?

I manage several dozen queues across a few instances of the qpid broker (on
separate boxes), but I am concerned that I may have collisions occur between
IDs if the config files are regenerated by my management processes,
potentially all simultaneously.

Thanks,

Kristofor

Re: Are generated Ids secure + permanent?

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kristofor,

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 20:17, Kristofor Horst <kr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When a queue is generated via the UI/web API and written to the config.json
> file, is the ID created for it securely generated and permanent?

The IDs are generated from java.util.UUID.randomUUID() -
https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/11/docs/api/java.base/java/util/UUID.html#randomUUID()

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "permanent": the ID is the
identifier for the queue.  If you modify the ID then it effectively becomes
a new queue (messages on a queue reference the queue by ID, not by the
queue name, so if you edit the config file, change the queue's id and
restart, then the queue with the same name will no longer have messages.

As to how securely generated... you'd have to ask Oracle, or go look at the
source code yourself.

> I manage several dozen queues across a few instances of the qpid broker (on
> separate boxes), but I am concerned that I may have collisions occur
> between
> IDs if the config files are regenerated by my management processes,
> potentially all simultaneously.

Many other factors are involved other than simple timing, so I don't think
you'll ever see duplicates (I certainly haven't).

> Thanks,
>
> Kristofor

Hope this helps,
Rob