Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Gosselin, Michael" <Mi...@AthenaDiagnostics.com> on 2006/03/15 17:25:11 UTC

Referencing multiple XML files using FOP

Hello,

My question is rather simple, and probably documented somewhere, but not
where I can find it easily.

Currently, we have a process to build PDF and PCL files using FOP.  We take
an XML file, run it with a format file (XSLT) and produce output.

However, we will need to change the formatting so that we can take input
from two XML files and format with them.

Now, my resource on this has just gone on vacation for a week, so I need the
help of the rest of the world.  How do I set up the XSL file to look for the
different XML files I will be using?  He showed me once, but it didn't stick
in my brain.

We have FOP for Unix, version 0.20.  Due to confidentiality rules and
certain email filters, I am not allowed to post any XML file or the XSL
code.  I also have EditiX as an editor, so I can see things (sort of)
visually when I test.

Thanks for your help with this.

Michael Gosselin
Athena Diagnostics, Inc.
(508) 756-2886 x3708
(800) 394-4493 x3708

Re: Referencing multiple XML files using FOP

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Mar 15, 2006, at 17:25, Gosselin, Michael wrote:

Hi Michael,

> How do I set up the XSL file to look for the
> different XML files I will be using?  He showed me once, but it
> didn't stick
> in my brain.

If you need one PDF file as a result of multiple XML files, maybe
what he showed you was the magic of the document() function. You can
use either an empty XML file --only an empty root node-- and hardcode
the URLs, or --more elegant solution-- use a base XML that contains
the URLs for the documents you want to merge.

If you need N PDFs for N XML source files, then I'd suggest using
FOP's Ant task for that...

Just yell if you need more info.

HTH!

Cheers,