Posted to dev@hawq.apache.org by Vineet Goel <vv...@apache.org> on 2017/02/16 01:00:19 UTC

Apache HAWQ & Pivotal HDB release alignment

Hi HAWQ dev community,

Over the last few months, many users in the HAWQ community have expressed
confusion about Apache HAWQ incubating release versions as compared to
Pivotal HDB release version numbering. Since Pivotal’s donation of HAWQ
codebase to Apache in September 2015, the community has grown, and users of
Apache HAWQ as well as HDB have participated and sought help from the HAWQ
dev/user community via mailing lists.

With my Pivotal representation on this topic, I’m proposing Pivotal team to
make an effort to align commercial releases of HDB based on Apache HAWQ
releases as much as possible. And, as part of the proposal, the commercial
HDB versions should also be aligned with the Apache HAWQ release
versioning. The net result of this alignment at Pivotal will likely result
in higher Apache HAWQ release cadence and collaboration, plus lesser user
confusion. I have seen this model work well in other Apache communities
like Apache Ambari and more, in conjunction with the respective commercial
releases.

Such an alignment on the versioning could quickly be achieved by doing a
one-time version bump of upcoming Apache HAWQ release to 2.2.0.0 (versus
2.1.0.0) as there is no way to lower the version on the other end. Would
the community & the Release Manager support such a version string change to
help Pivotal align their HDB releases to Apache HAWQ releases? I believe
such an alignment will benefit the joint user community significantly.

Regards,

Vineet

Re: Apache HAWQ & Pivotal HDB release alignment

Posted by Vineet Goel <vv...@apache.org>.
Hey all,

Thank you so much for all the feedback and comments you provided. After
considering all the feedback and thinking through further, I wanted to
conclude on this topic. There is value in downstream alignment between HAWQ
and commercial releases that benefit the users. We all may want to consider
and discuss another avenue along the lines of alignment on software
binaries for end-users. There is more that needs to be discussed on the
initiative of producing binaries at Apache HAWQ level, but I’ll leave that
discussion for a follow-on email thread. With that in mind, I think it’s
safe to proceed with the original HAWQ release version of 2.1.0.0 for now.
I’ll start a new discussion on producing binary artifacts for HAWQ
releases, sometime soon.

Thank you everyone!

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vineet Goel <vv...@apache.org>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Lei Chang <le...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Chase <gr...@gregchase.com>.

Posted by Lav Jain <la...@gmail.com>.
+1

Misaligned versions are always a source of major confusion.

Posted by Shivram Mani <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Michael Pearce <Mi...@ig.com>.
-1

Whilst I agree that version alignment is important for Pivotal and users of HDB (my own self being a HDP client).

We have to remember this is an open source Apache project and Pivotal are providing a downstream supported version, surely this should be a case of Pivotal aligning to the Apache Version, not the other-way around.

Likewise, if any other company wished to provide a supported bundle of HAWQ, then I wouldn’t expect the open source Apache project to change their versioning for a commercial enterprise. I see this much the same way multiple companies support postgres.

Cheers
Mike

On 16/02/2017, 06:06, "Lili Ma" <li...@apache.org> wrote:

    +1 for version alignment

    > Looks a good plan for the version alignment. +1
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Ruilong Huo
    >
    > On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Yandong Yao <yy...@pivotal.io> wrote:
    >
    > > +1 for consistence
    > >
    > > On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Ed Espino <es...@apache.org> wrote:
    > >
    > > > +1 to this recommendation. It has been a bit confusing keeping track of
    > > > versions. The Apache HAWQ version update is fairly simple. Now is the
    > > time
    > > > to make such an update. I imagine it will get harder the more time
    > passes
    > > > on and the more the community grows.
    > > >
    > > > This will impact Jira versioning for our upcoming Apache HAWQ
    > incubating
    > > > release. I will take care of that as part of the release process.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > -=e

    > > expressed
    > HAWQ
    > > users
    > > > of
    > > > HAWQ

    > > team
    > HAWQ
    > > > commercial
    > > > result
    > > user
    > communities
    > > > commercial

    > doing
    > > (versus
    > > Would
    > > change
    > > believe
    > significantly.

    > > > --
    > > > *Ed Espino*
    > > > *espino@apache.org <es...@apache.org>*
    > > >

    > > --
    > > Best Regards,
    > > Yandong

The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the use of the addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose to others this message or any attachment. Please also notify the sender by replying to this email or by telephone (+44(020 7896 0011) and then delete the email and any copies of it. Opinions, conclusion (etc) that do not relate to the official business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. IG is a trading name of IG Markets Limited (a company registered in England and Wales, company number 04008957) and IG Index Limited (a company registered in England and Wales, company number 01190902). Registered address at Cannon Bridge House, 25 Dowgate Hill, London EC4R 2YA. Both IG Markets Limited (register number 195355) and IG Index Limited (register number 114059) are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Re: Apache HAWQ & Pivotal HDB release alignment

Posted by Lili Ma <li...@apache.org>.
+1 for version alignment

Posted by Ruilong Huo <rh...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Yandong Yao <yy...@pivotal.io>.