Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jason James <mr...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/14 18:58:16 UTC

[users@httpd] apache-fcgi-mono-sql arrangement stalls under load

Hi,

I have the following arrangement:

Apache 2.2.8
Fcgi 2.3.4
mono 2.4.2.3
with a mysql database (v 5.0) at the back.

All works fine. However I throw a load tester (OpenSTA: 5 virtual
users + 1000 iterations) at the front web page which has no SQL calls
in it but is created through ASP.NET and things start to die.

I find that after about 2000 requests it just dies for about 30
seconds and then resumes for about another 2000 requests (remember,
there are no database accesses at all during this - its just an
ASP.NET webpage).

During this process we see Mono go defunct in 'top' and also a huge
number of socket files (fcgid.7044.50) opening and closing.

When FcgidMaxRequestsPerProcess is less than about 1000 we do not get
this hanging

We temporarily subsituted PhP for Mono and do not get any of these
problems. Also the number of socket-files under lsof stays at a more
sensible looking 102 during the whole process.

Does anyone have any ideas why we are experiencing this stalling with
fcgi/mono please?

Thanks in advance guys,
Jas

Re: [users@httpd] apache-fcgi-mono-sql arrangement stalls under load

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <li...@jaqui-greenlees.net>.
Jason James wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following arrangement:
>
> Apache 2.2.8
> Fcgi 2.3.4
> mono 2.4.2.3
> with a mysql database (v 5.0) at the back.
>

> Does anyone have any ideas why we are experiencing this stalling with
> fcgi/mono please?

I personally suspect that it is because the .NET framework is bloated by
design, but you might be able to find out how to get it working better
from the mono project's help directly.

Jaqui