Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> on 2006/09/19 10:18:15 UTC

now what?

[INFO] [surefire:test]
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/surefire/surefire-providers/2.0/surefire-providers-2.0.pom
1K downloaded
[WARNING] *** CHECKSUM FAILED - Checksum failed on download: local =
'0e7abda11e7aa94e3ba5ad1f1a052ebeb3d0f1a6'; remote =
'a68923172d8f1bb03d84fcc9cc94fa4d744f4ba3' - RETRYING
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/surefire/surefire-providers/2.0/surefire-providers-2.0.pom
1K downloaded
[WARNING] *** CHECKSUM FAILED - Checksum failed on download: local =
'0e7abda11e7aa94e3ba5ad1f1a052ebeb3d0f1a6'; remote =
'a68923172d8f1bb03d84fcc9cc94fa4d744f4ba3' - IGNORING

Guys, this is becoming more and more annoying
 ...especially since this might ruin your local repo
(html pages as jar) how much longer until a 2.0.5?

....and a proper repository?

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: now what?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Ah, that could be possible because a lot of hotel wireless sends
everything to HTML pages.

That's something that needs to be fixed differently - the proper
checksumming should help, but we should also be able to do some
simple mime type checks.

- Brett

Re: now what?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 19 Sep 06, at 12:43 PM 19 Sep 06, Brett Porter wrote:

> That's what I was getting at. This one is a legit file. I haven't
> seen problems with html downloads anywhere but planetmirror.

It's happened with other repos. When we were at JavaOne when the
wireless in the W went on the fritz Jan/Greg were getting html files
as well. I don't believe they were using planetmirror but I'll check.

> I'll fix this checksum now. Then we'll finish the repository
> manager and use it to identify and fix all the checksum problems.
> Then we'll make maven be stricter about them being successful
> reducing other problems. Then we'll hopefully get some time to work
> on Maven's dependency mechanism itself.
>
> - Brett
>
> On 19/09/2006, at 7:44 PM, Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
>>> He's referring to downloads that state they are JARs when in fact
>>> the
>>> file contains a blob of html. I've seen this a couple times.
>>>
>>> Torsten, is it the error response in the file? What's the content
>>> exactly?
>>
>> Well, in this case the POM is actually ok ...but has the wrong
>> checksum.
>> It's hard to believe that I am the first one noticing this?!
>>
>> cheers
>> --
>> Torsten

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org

Re: now what?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: now what?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Re: now what?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 19 Sep 06, at 10:36 AM 19 Sep 06, Brett Porter wrote:

> I was hoping to get the repo doing fixes before I go on holidays
> but might not have a chance.
>
> 2.0.5 doesn't currently have any fixes for this.
>
> I'm not exactly sure what problem you are saying is happening here.
> The checksum is wrong, Maven double checks it and ignores it with a
> warning. Everything should keep working.

He's referring to downloads that state they are JARs when in fact the
file contains a blob of html. I've seen this a couple times.

Torsten, is it the error response in the file? What's the content
exactly?

Jason.

> - Brett
>
> On 19/09/2006, at 6:18 PM, Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
>> [INFO] [surefire:test]
>> Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/
>> surefire/surefire-providers/2.0/surefire-providers-2.0.pom
>> 1K downloaded
>> [WARNING] *** CHECKSUM FAILED - Checksum failed on download: local =
>> '0e7abda11e7aa94e3ba5ad1f1a052ebeb3d0f1a6'; remote =
>> 'a68923172d8f1bb03d84fcc9cc94fa4d744f4ba3' - RETRYING
>> Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/
>> surefire/surefire-providers/2.0/surefire-providers-2.0.pom
>> 1K downloaded
>> [WARNING] *** CHECKSUM FAILED - Checksum failed on download: local =
>> '0e7abda11e7aa94e3ba5ad1f1a052ebeb3d0f1a6'; remote =
>> 'a68923172d8f1bb03d84fcc9cc94fa4d744f4ba3' - IGNORING
>>
>> Guys, this is becoming more and more annoying
>> ...especially since this might ruin your local repo
>> (html pages as jar) how much longer until a 2.0.5?
>>
>> ....and a proper repository?
>>
>> cheers
>> --
>> Torsten

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org

Re: now what?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> I'm not exactly sure what problem you are saying is happening here.

Well, two things are wrong

 * the repository needs to be fixed
 * maven should not use (and store) files with the wrong checksum

Known defects ...I just wanted check the state of affairs as I am
slowly drifting into the Sylvain camp

 http://bluxte.net/blog/2006-09/17-52-51.html
 http://www.bearaway.org/wp/?p=518
 http://www.1060.org/blogxter/publish/5

> The checksum is wrong, Maven double checks it and ignores it with a
> warning. Everything should keep working.

True for this very case ...but very wrong for jars

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: now what?