Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org> on 2020/11/10 00:24:50 UTC

upgrade notifications once we release 4.2.0

For 4.2.0, we are talking about building on CentOS 7.  Therefore some of
platforms that we currently support won't support 4.2.0, in particular
CentOS 5, which is currently EOL and CentOS 6, which is still supported
upstream, at least for now the last time I looked.

If a user is running on an older platform, it would seem to be unhelpful
for them to be notified about 4.2.x releases, but we would want them to
see a possible 4.1.9 release.  Users on newer platforms should be
steered towards 4.2.x.

Thoughts?

Re: upgrade notifications once we release 4.2.0

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Don,

Am 10.11.20 um 01:24 schrieb Don Lewis:
> For 4.2.0, we are talking about building on CentOS 7.  Therefore some of
> platforms that we currently support won't support 4.2.0, in particular
> CentOS 5, which is currently EOL and CentOS 6, which is still supported
> upstream, at least for now the last time I looked.
>
> If a user is running on an older platform, it would seem to be unhelpful
> for them to be notified about 4.2.x releases, but we would want them to
> see a possible 4.1.9 release.  Users on newer platforms should be
> steered towards 4.2.x.
>
> Thoughts?

I don't have an idea what the best strategy would be but Upgrade Feeds
are generated here (publishing is a manual process):

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/devtools/genUpdateFeed/

We already have handled the case for mac 32-bit users.

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: [OPINION VOTE] CentOS7 or Ubuntu 14.04

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On Nov 10, 2020, at 12:58 PM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>
> History: For previous AOO releases (up to 4.1.8), we have used
>         CentOS5 as our build environ for our community builds.
>         As of 4.2.x, this is no longer an option. Instead, we
>         baselined CentOS7 (mainly due to gstreamer 1.0).
>
> Discussion: The issue w/ CentOS7 is that the 32bit version is
>            not officially supported. This means that for our
>            32bit builds we are using an unsupported platform.
>            Instead of using CentOS7, we could instead baseline
>            Ubuntu 14.04, which is both 64 and 32bit as well as
>            both under LTS.
>
>            So the question is: CentOS7 or Ubuntu 14.04?
>
> Cast your vote:
>
>  [ ]   CentOS7
>  [X]   Ubuntu 14.04
>  [ ]   Something else: <enter suggestion here>

Yep... I think Ubuntu is the better choice.

Re: [OPINION VOTE] CentOS7 or Ubuntu 14.04

Posted by Benjamen Meyer <bm...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
On 11/10/20 1:02 PM, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 10 Nov, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> History: For previous AOO releases (up to 4.1.8), we have used
>>          CentOS5 as our build environ for our community builds.
>>          As of 4.2.x, this is no longer an option. Instead, we
>>          baselined CentOS7 (mainly due to gstreamer 1.0).
>>
>> Discussion: The issue w/ CentOS7 is that the 32bit version is
>>             not officially supported. This means that for our
>>             32bit builds we are using an unsupported platform.
>>             Instead of using CentOS7, we could instead baseline
>>             Ubuntu 14.04, which is both 64 and 32bit as well as
>>             both under LTS.
>>
>>             So the question is: CentOS7 or Ubuntu 14.04?
>
> What are the gcc/glibc versions of both?  If we build on the distro with
> the newer versions, the result won't run on the older version.

Keep in mind, CentOS 7 will only be fully supported through December
2020 (https://wiki.centos.org/About/Product). If you want to stay with
CentOS then you probably want to look at CentOS 8 (December 2024).

Similar situation with Ubuntu 14.04 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases)
though not it ended standard support April 2019. You may want to look at
Ubuntu 16.04 (April 2021) or Ubuntu 18.04 (April 2023).

If 32-bit is a driving concern, then you might want to actually look at
Debian (https://wiki.debian.org/DebianBuster) which unlike Ubuntu is
still supporting 32-bit systems AFAICT (i386 is still listed as a
supported platform).

$0.02 FWIW

Ben

Re: [OPINION VOTE] CentOS7 or Ubuntu 14.04

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 10 Nov, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> CentOS7: glibc 2.17
> Ubuntu 14.04: glibc 2.19 <min>
>
> Since CentOS7 emulates the "super stable" worldview of RHEL, the
> CentOS7 version will likely always be the older one.

In that case I think a Ubuntu build is unlikely to run on CentOS 7.

Re: [OPINION VOTE] CentOS7 or Ubuntu 14.04

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
CentOS7: glibc 2.17

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> AppImage and Snap packages would be the best, as those are multi-distro,
> portable apps, do desktop integration, user friendly, standard
> uninstallation, etc.

I'm singling this out as this is a different discussion, related to how
we package rather than how we build. I must say I quite agree with this
and my main concern is that this approach is rather "modern" for our
baseline.

For sure we can't add yet another Linux packaging; and before replacing
the current packaging (which must be done in some way for 4.2.0, anyway)
we'd need to ensure we are not restricting compatibility too much.

AppImage might have a slight edge here.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [OPINION VOTE] CentOS7 or Ubuntu 14.04

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 7:58 PM Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> History: For previous AOO releases (up to 4.1.8), we have used
>          CentOS5 as our build environ for our community builds.
>          As of 4.2.x, this is no longer an option. Instead, we
>          baselined CentOS7 (mainly due to gstreamer 1.0).
>
> Discussion: The issue w/ CentOS7 is that the 32bit version is
>             not officially supported. This means that for our
>             32bit builds we are using an unsupported platform.
>             Instead of using CentOS7, we could instead baseline
>             Ubuntu 14.04, which is both 64 and 32bit as well as
>             both under LTS.
>
>             So the question is: CentOS7 or Ubuntu 14.04?
>
> Cast your vote:
>
>   [ ]   CentOS7
>   [ ]   Ubuntu 14.04
>   [X]   Something else:

Debian if it has to be a distro.
AppImage and Snap packages would be the best, as those are multi-distro,
portable apps, do desktop integration, user friendly, standard
uninstallation, etc.

Damjan

Re: [OPINION VOTE] CentOS7 or Ubuntu 14.04

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
I am also re-leaning back to being super OK w/ CentOS7. After all, we've already been using it for various 4.2.0-dev builds.

Also, I am not really all that worried about using old, deprecated, EOL platforms *as community build servers*. The goal for those builds is that they support as large and as wide (and as old, reasonably) set of users as possible. So what if the build servers are old... they are just build servers. We aren't running them as anything else. So what if the versions of gcc are old, for example? As long as the binaries produced still run OK on old and new platforms, what's the problem?

And again, I am fine with us producing 2 sets of Linux community builds: one for "legacy" users, using CentOS7, and one for "current" users using CentOS8 (or some current flavor of Ubuntu). The latter would, of course, be 64bit only. I don't mind the additional workload if it helps our community.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

> On Nov 10, 2020, at 1:23 PM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
>
> Am 10.11.20 um 18:58 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> History: For previous AOO releases (up to 4.1.8), we have used
>>          CentOS5 as our build environ for our community builds.
>>          As of 4.2.x, this is no longer an option. Instead, we
>>          baselined CentOS7 (mainly due to gstreamer 1.0).
>> Discussion: The issue w/ CentOS7 is that the 32bit version is
>>             not officially supported. This means that for our
>>             32bit builds we are using an unsupported platform.
>>             Instead of using CentOS7, we could instead baseline
>>             Ubuntu 14.04, which is both 64 and 32bit as well as
>>             both under LTS.
>>             So the question is: CentOS7 or Ubuntu 14.04?
>
> CentOS 7 32-bit is supported as an offical platform:
> https://wiki.centos.org/About/Product

Only as AltArch... which means that EPEL isn't available for it, for example. Also, it looks like VMware doesn't officially support CentOS7-32 as a guest OS.

Re: [OPINION VOTE] CentOS7 or Ubuntu 14.04

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello,

we can't look only for 32 bit vs 64 bit versions for Linux.

We must also look for Java version 8 vs Java version 11.

So at this point we should start with a plttform which also support java 8

So this should discuss after releasing AOO version 4.1.8

I will give my Vote after evaluating these points.

I'm against Ubuntu version 14.04.

Kind regards

Mechtilde

Am 10.11.20 um 20:37 schrieb Marcus:
> Am 10.11.20 um 19:23 schrieb Marcus:
>> Am 10.11.20 um 18:58 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>>> History: For previous AOO releases (up to 4.1.8), we have used
>>>           CentOS5 as our build environ for our community builds.
>>>           As of 4.2.x, this is no longer an option. Instead, we
>>>           baselined CentOS7 (mainly due to gstreamer 1.0).
>>>
>>> Discussion: The issue w/ CentOS7 is that the 32bit version is
>>>              not officially supported. This means that for our
>>>              32bit builds we are using an unsupported platform.
>>>              Instead of using CentOS7, we could instead baseline
>>>              Ubuntu 14.04, which is both 64 and 32bit as well as
>>>              both under LTS.
>>>
>>>              So the question is: CentOS7 or Ubuntu 14.04?
>>
>> CentOS 7 32-bit is supported as an offical platform:
>> https://wiki.centos.org/About/Product
>>
>>> Cast your vote:
>>>
>>>    [ ]   CentOS7
>>>    [ ]   Ubuntu 14.04
>>>    [X]   Something else: <enter suggestion here>
>
> I've corrected my vote due to Jim's hint:
>
> Ubuntu 18.04 (support until April 2023).
>
> Some more details:
>
> Since 19.10. there will be no 32-bit support anymore.
>
> It seems even for us it will get very hard to find a baseline OS that
> includes 32-bit support *and* also modern frameworks and libaries (e.g.,
> glibc, gstreamer, etc).
>
> IMHO we have some more years, and then we need to re-think our 32-bit
> support, too.
>
> Marcus

Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Freie Office Suite für Linux, MacOSX, Windows und OS/2
## Debian Developer
## PGP encryption welcome
## F0E3 7F3D C87A 4998 2899  39E7 F287 7BBA 141A AD7F

Re: [OPINION VOTE] CentOS7 or Ubuntu 14.04

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I am 100% still supportive of my original decision to baseline CentOS7 for the 4.2.x community builds. I see no reason to change that.

I fully agree. Building on CentOS 5 is extremely hard these times, and
one would have to replace the system SSL libraries just to download
build dependencies. CentOS 6, as Carl reported, won't be supported any
longer by the time we release 4.2.0. And CentOS 7 is a good choice.

I don't think that providing additional "CentOS 5 - compatible" 4.2.0
builds would help users. Many of our Linux builds just take space on the
download servers, and we should aim at fixing this disproportion (a lot
of space for rarely downloaded files) rather than increase it. But I'll
keep this for another discussion.

Also, any CentOS 5 desktop user in 2020 is experiencing lots of
issues... I honestly doubt one can even browse the Internet in some
reasonably sane way without having to rebuild lots of software. So all
CentOS 5 users are probably already struggling just to have a normal
desktop experience.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: upgrade notifications once we release 4.2.0

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

> On Nov 10, 2020, at 11:52 AM, Peter Kovacs <pe...@Apache.org> wrote:
>

> Am 10.11.20 um 14:48 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> I think you may be confused... we are just talking about community builds here, not anything regarding maintenance or modernizing AOO.
>
> I am not sure why you think I am confused. I just say that the AOO report states we will not bring another community version once we have fixed 4.2.0.

I cannot parse this sentence :)

>> And, FTR, I can easily great 2 sets of Linux 32+64 builds: one set built on CentOS5 w/ gstreamer 0.1 and the other on CentOS7 w/ gstreamer 1.0. Is it "worth it"?... that's the question, I guess. But that decision doesn't impact how we keep AOO up to date or what features we add.
>
> The difference between 4.1.x and 4.2.0 are much more then gstreamer.

I never said that the only difference between the 2 was gstreamer; I just said that the reason why we (well, *I*) moved from CentOS5 to CentOS7 for the community builds *was gstreamer* and the fact that 4.2.x/trunk uses and expects 1.0.

FTR: I am 100% still supportive of my original decision to baseline CentOS7 for the 4.2.x community builds. I see no reason to change that.

Re: upgrade notifications once we release 4.2.0

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Am 10.11.20 um 14:48 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> I think you may be confused... we are just talking about community builds here, not anything regarding maintenance or modernizing AOO.

I am not sure why you think I am confused. I just say that the AOO
report states we will not bring another community version once we have
fixed 4.2.0.

> And, FTR, I can easily great 2 sets of Linux 32+64 builds: one set built on CentOS5 w/ gstreamer 0.1 and the other on CentOS7 w/ gstreamer 1.0. Is it "worth it"?... that's the question, I guess. But that decision doesn't impact how we keep AOO up to date or what features we add.

The difference between 4.1.x and 4.2.0 are much more then gstreamer. In
trunk and 4.2.0 branch we have removed the gestreamer 0.1.0 support even
it could be easily reintroduced and a switch could be setup. Maybe this
is simpler to build a legacy 4.2.0 version then to test the backports of
patches.

Also I want to point out that  a release is not only building it. The
work is to sign a release off. You need 3 Testers from the PMC and
better some from the community for the source code. I am not sure if we
can simply release a 4.1.9 binary and omit the source code release. If
the community is willed to carry a second branch I am fine, but then
change the statement in the report and be aware that it is in my opinion
double release work. I am not in favor of this version. In my Opinion we
should focus and release one Code base.

If the worth and the discussion is worth is in my opinion depends on
users of old Linux distribution. If there are active People using old
stuff I am open to support if they use OpenOffice, if we do not find any
we should think of moving on.

Sadly Google Analytics does not help on the Linux OS Version. The
numbers only distinguish by arch. So we have no rational number that
could ive us a base to the question: Do we need to support unmaintained
Distributions? Or can we move on. This is something difficult to figure
out for Linux. (Mac and Windows we have a better situation.)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Don,

Sorry not an answer but an update on CentOS 6.

On 11/9/20 7:24 PM, Don Lewis wrote:
> For 4.2.0, we are talking about building on CentOS 7.  Therefore some of
> platforms that we currently support won't support 4.2.0, in particular
> CentOS 5, which is currently EOL and CentOS 6, which is still supported
> upstream, at least for now the last time I looked.
CentOS 6.1 EOL is Nov 30, 2020 on their site.