Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> on 2007/02/01 05:04:59 UTC

Re: svn commit: r501512 - in /lucene/solr/trunk: ./ src/java/org/apache/solr/core/ src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/ src/java/org/apache/solr/request/ src/java/org/apache/solr/search/ src/java/org/apache/solr/update/ src/java/org/apache/solr/util/

TODO: switch solrb to using wt=json instead of wt=ruby.

Whatcha think, Ed et al?

	Erik

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 2/1/07, Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2007, at 1:21 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
> > Bear in mind that json params like json.nl apply to it's subtypes,
> > ruby and python also.
>
> Oh!   Now *that* I overlooked.

Yes, it probably broke your current facet stuff :-)

> Interesting bit of trivia.  Maybe we
> should change the parameter to "format.nl" instead, or something
> besides "json"?

It only applies to JSON and friends though... it has no effect on XML
(unless we want to change that, and maybe have different defaults for
XML and JSON)

-Yonik

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 1, 2007, at 1:21 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
> Bear in mind that json params like json.nl apply to it's subtypes,
> ruby and python also.

Oh!   Now *that* I overlooked.  Interesting bit of trivia.  Maybe we

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 2/1/07, Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2007, at 11:08 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>
> > On 1/31/07, Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> >> TODO: switch solrb to using wt=json instead of wt=ruby.
> >
> > Why is that?
>
> To benefit from a richer data structure,

They seem to have the same power there.
Bear in mind that json params like json.nl apply to it's subtypes,
ruby and python also.

> avoid eval (which I hear is
> likely to be slower than parsing JSON,

If the JSON parser is written in C, yes.   Otherwise, I doubt it :-)

> and eval is potentially more
> dangerous if code somehow got slipped in though that risk is not very
> high).

Yeah, I guess someone would have to say, "here, point your client at
my solr system", and then they could be running something else that
gives you executable code.  But they could also just give you bogus
data, so it's bad to point at random things anyway.  (but I guess it
it *is* worse if you are trying to operate in some federated mode
across the internet with unknown peers).

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jan 31, 2007, at 11:08 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On 1/31/07, Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
>> TODO: switch solrb to using wt=json instead of wt=ruby.
>
> Why is that?

To benefit from a richer data structure, avoid eval (which I hear is
likely to be slower than parsing JSON, and eval is potentially more

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.