Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Arend P. van der Veen" <ap...@att.net> on 2007/09/11 22:39:28 UTC

PHP Security Vulnerability???

Hi,

I recently setup a server using Tomcat 5.5 on FreeBSD 6.2.  I thought I
had everything locked down.

I run a nessus scan and found a strange Vulnerability.  It says that states:

The remote web server contains a PHP application that is affected by
multiple vulnerabilities.

I am not using PHP.  Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
Arend

Re: PHP Security Vulnerability???

Posted by "Arend P. van der Veen" <ap...@acm.org>.
Wade Chandler wrote:

>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> I can supply you a couple of things:
>>
>> 1.  Tomcat access logs showing the Nessus attack that generated the problem.
>> 2.  A detailed description of my configuration that generated the error
>> and what I did to fix it.
>> 3.  A sample app that generates the problem.
>> 4.  All of the above.
>>
>> Please let me know what you want and I will forward it to you.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Arend
>>

> I meant to write before, and it slipped my mind. The reason this occurs with form based
> authentication is because form based authentication is a pure server side thing. It doesn't tell
> the client...oh hey, by the way, I'm going to need you to authenticate. Instead it sends back an
> actual web page which happens to ask the user to login. So, the scanner tried to hit the URL it
> thought would have phpinfo (anything else under that path should give the same results), and it
> did in fact get returned a valid HTML page, yet not anything related to phpinfo. This sounds like
> a bug in the scanner though as it should analyze the return and not whether something was just
> returned or not. Someone might have their server setup to return a page which explains this is not
> available if on an external NIC port and if on an internal one to return the actual phpinfo.
>
> Wade
>

> ==================
> Wade Chandler
> Software Engineer and Developer
>
> Netbeans Community and Dream Team Member:
> http://wiki.netbeans.org/wiki/view/NetBeansDreamTeam
>
> Check out Netbeans at:
> http://www.netbeans.org

This matches what I see.  Can I relay some of this information to Nessus
in a bug report? Thanks for your help.

Posted by Wade Chandler <hw...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Arend P. van der Veen" <ap...@acm.org>.

Posted by "Arend P. van der Veen" <ap...@att.net>.