Posted to general@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2006/09/14 10:01:14 UTC

[VOTE] log4j 1.2.14 release

I've prepared a release candidate for log4j 1.2.14.  To expedite the
process, I've posted the call for a vote on both the log4j-dev and
general@logging.apache.org and requesting that the log4j project and
PMC votes take place simultaneously and all discussion occur on the
log4j-dev mailing list.  All interested parties are invited to vote,
though only log4j committer votes will be binding for the log4j
project vote and PMC members on the PMC vote.   Voting will be open
until September 18th at 00:00 GMT.  Any vote by a person who is both
a PMC member and log4j committer will be assumed to apply to both
votes unless requested otherwise.  A summery of the vote will be
posted on both mailing lists.

The release candidate is currently available as either a tar.gz
or .zip archive at:

http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/log4j-1.2.14/logging-
log4j-1.2.14rc1.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/log4j-1.2.14/logging-
log4j-1.2.14rc1.zip

The expected MD5 checksums for the files are:

MD5(logging-log4j-1.2.14rc1.tar.gz)= 7d8d02888b93e6f8d67b8e5f746196ae
MD5(logging-log4j-1.2.14rc1.zip)= 6c4f8da1fed407798ea0ad7984fe60db

If release of the vote passes, the archives will be renamed to remove
the rc1 designation, digitally signed and moved to www.apache.org/
dist.  To allow voters to vote on the exact binary images to be
released, the archives have no internal indication that they are not
the final 1.2.14.  This is a break from previous practice where the
final release was not identical to the release candidate.  If the
release candidates are accepted, the MD5 checksums for the releases
should be identical to those listed above.

The SVN tag corresponding to the release candidate is http://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/tags/v1_2_14.  The build
process has been modified to eliminate the dependency on the logging-
site module, so there is no corresponding tag on that project.

Re: Site tagging (was Re: [VOTE] log4j 1.2.14 release)

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 9/14/06, Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm fine with tagging site to reflect its state at the time of log4j
> 1.2.14 release.  Since its content doesn't affect log4j-1.2.14
> itself, I'd like to tag it as the new content is pushed out assuming
> a favorable vote on the release of log4j 1.2.14.

Cool.

Yoav

Site tagging (was Re: [VOTE] log4j 1.2.14 release)

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
>> The SVN tag corresponding to the release candidate is http://
>> svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/tags/v1_2_14.  The build
>> process has been modified to eliminate the dependency on the logging-
>> site module, so there is no corresponding tag on that project.
>
> I think logging-site should be tagged anyhow, not because of a build
> dependency, but to allow us and our users to recreate the log4j site
> as it existed for a particular version of log4j.  I personally have
> found it useful in the past.  Tags are essentially free, let's not
> skimp on them.

I'm fine with tagging site to reflect its state at the time of log4j
1.2.14 release.  Since its content doesn't affect log4j-1.2.14
itself, I'd like to tag it as the new content is pushed out assuming
a favorable vote on the release of log4j 1.2.14.  I know there are at
least some out of date facts (Mark is listed as current PMC chair at
http://logging.apache.org/who-we-are.html) and the downloads section
would need to be updated for the log4j 1.2.14 release.  I'll commit a
pass at the site changes shortly.

Re: [VOTE] log4j 1.2.14 release

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
I have no time to test, so my vote should probably be +0.  However, since I have
confidence in Curt and the other Log4j developers, if +1 is needed to make the
release happen, you have my +1.

Jake

Re: [VOTE] log4j 1.2.14 release

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

[RESULT] [VOTE] log4j 1.2.14 release

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
Scott Deboy, Yoav Shapira, Curt Arnold and Jacob Kjome voted +1.
No other votes were cast.

All four votes were from individuals who are both log4j committers
and Logging Services PMC members.  The criteria for a acceptance of a
release in the Logging Services bylaws (http://logging.apache.org/
site/bylaws.html) has been satisfied.

Jacob Kjome noted that his vote should be +0 since he was unable to
test the release.  Since 3 other PMC members voted +1, his vote was
not required to reach the minimum number of +1's.

Re: [VOTE] log4j 1.2.14 release

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,